DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7d picture settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/465326-7d-picture-settings.html)

Benjamin Eckstein October 8th, 2009 12:58 PM

7d picture settings

Does anybody have suggestions for tweaking the settings of the camera for a slightly flatter look that might be better for grading. I know this is not nearly as tunable as my EX-1, but I know many 5D users were changing the in-camera look a little bit to reduce the contrast.

Thanks,
Benjamin

Terje Rian October 8th, 2009 02:00 PM

Hello Benjamin,

Here is my response from another thread on this forum. I just got my 7D today, so I can't confirm my findings with the 7D. But I guess I'll use the same approach using the 7D as well. I hope it helps.

"I have both a EX-3 and a Canon 5D Mark II. I'm about to do a television documentary using these cameras in just a few weeks. I'm in the middle of a test shooting right now. From what I've found out I'll prefer to go for the best possible "latitude setting" in the Canon to be prepared for the post-processing (color correcting). I've saved a preset for video shooting using the Neutral setting (as a start) WITH added lowered sharpness, contrast and saturation. I've also enabled Canon's Highlight tone priority to avoid crushing the blacks too much. I feel this user setting gives me the most flexiblity when matching clips."

Kind regards,
Terje Rian

Benjamin Eckstein October 8th, 2009 02:14 PM

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Benjamin Eckstein October 11th, 2009 02:21 PM

I am scrolling through the different Picture Styles in the camera and I don't totally understand the adjustments. With the pre-programmed ones (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, etc.) of the variables listed below (Sharpness, Contrast, etc.) the only one that shows a change value is Sharpness. Yet, when you scroll from one setting to the other the image changes quite noticeably. So where are those adjustments taking place and is it something I can effect?

I am just trying to figure out how to setup the most neutral image, as what I got in my first shots had very crushed blacks and seemed oversaturated.

Thanks,
Benjamin

Ray Bell October 11th, 2009 09:06 PM

I guess someone needs to write a " Flatten your 7D " but this blog will get you to where you
want to be... you might want to have the manual for the camera open so you can search
for the settings...

ProLost - ProLost Blog - Flatten Your5D

Michael Maier October 12th, 2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terje Rian (Post 1429607)
HI've saved a preset for video shooting using the Neutral setting (as a start) WITH added lowered sharpness, contrast and saturation.

How can you have added lowered sharpness in Neutral when sharpness is already all the way down by default in Neutral?

Benjamin Eckstein October 12th, 2009 07:24 AM

Very useful Ray, thanks.

Figured out how to set my settings to one of the custom settings so I could leave "M" for stills shooting. That was a useful tip.

I have never been one to do post-process sharpening (and wouldn't even know how to do it) so it scares me to bring it down all the way to ZERO. I remember with the EX-1s people were all about Detail OFF and I tried that for a while but went back to Detail ON with a reduced setting, which I found made my footage pop more.

Terje Rian October 12th, 2009 08:46 AM

Hello Michael,

You're right. My adjustments was actually done using the Standard settings. Later I found that the Neutral setting already had the sharpness adjusted. I should've refered to the Standard NOT the Neutral setting. My bad. The piont came across though. Hopefully.

Kind regards,
Terje Rian