DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   What Else (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/465402-what-else.html)

Dror Levi October 9th, 2009 02:36 PM

What Else

planning on getting the the 7D.
Wander what else besides the lenses I will need.

Roberto Lanczos October 9th, 2009 03:57 PM

I'm kind of the same boat right now.
I have a list with the things i think are priority,
but i won't be left with much for the gadgets.

7D - Body only ( 1700$ )
Lexar 16GB 300x ( 175$ )
CF Card Reader USB ( 25$ )
tamron 17-50 = 28-80 ( 400$ )
tokina 50-135 = 80-210 ( 700$ )
this 2 lenses was the best i could find on a budget to cover from 28 to 210 at f/2.8
tokina 11-16 ( 600$ ) couldn't afford this one, but it's a must a believe.
sigma 30mm 1.4 ( 440$ ) couldn't afford it, but it's another must.
---

Extras:
ND filters are a must if you want to preserve the DOF at wide apertures.
i went with "fader ND" 67mm. it fits both the tamron and the tokina. ( 81$ )

the hoodloupe is a must:
i went with hoodman 3.0 + redrock bracket ( 135$ )
Zacuto Z-Finder if you can afford it.

I'm thinking about going for the Philip Bloom DVD.
i don't think it's a must, but i won't be ok till i watch it. that's another (120$)

--- so far, with a budget of 3.500, i only have 500bucks left for the gadgets

- a cheap shoulder mount solution like: Indirailspro DSLR sm ( 369$ ) or something cheaper
- the Rode VideoMIC ( wich i only will buy if magic lattern comes up the AGC hack) 150$
- some cheap mattebox and followfocus.

Well, that's what i have so far.
if anyone thinks we're missing important gadgets we would certainly appreciate your advice.

Roberto.

Bill Pryor October 9th, 2009 04:55 PM

If you're going to shoot video you'll need a decent tripod. I use a Libec 38 with my XH A1 and it should be good for the 7D as well. I wouldn't want to go any cheaper than that. I'd say an ND .3, .6 and .9. If you have a variety of lenses with different thread sizes, a matte box would probably be more appropriate than threaded filters.

If you're shooting any dialog, interviews, etc., then you'd want something for sound. Some are using the Juicedlink with Magic Lantern on the 5D, but ML isn't done yet for the 7D; so if you want to shoot sound before that happens, going double system is probably best. The Zoom H4N and the Tascam DR-100 recorders seem to be favorites in that area. With a hot shoe to 1/4" adapter, they can mount right on top of the camera. Use their built-in mics for ambient sound recording and get a decent shotgun and fishpole for good sound, or a wireless lav, or both.

If you're doing interiors, you'll need lights but that's another whole big discussion. Best to rent as needed until you find out what you might want to buy. If you're just shooting stills with an occasional home movie, then you wouldn't need this stuff.

Kin Lau October 9th, 2009 07:05 PM

I'll second the Hoodman 3.0 LCD loupe. Works very well, and I can take my glasses off.

Bruce S. Yarock October 9th, 2009 07:40 PM

I just ordered the viewfinder from IDC. I'll post more when I get it Also ordered a lens adapter to be able to ue my Nikon lenses. I have a shoulder rig and a set of rails and follow focus that I use with my Letus extreme, and hopefully will work with the 7D.
You need a good tripod and maybe a monopod.

Bill,
I realize that I;ll need a matbox ( no nd filter like in our Canons :(). What would you reccomend on the inexpensive end? Also filter brands?
What card are people having good resylts with?
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo

Bill Pryor October 9th, 2009 08:17 PM

For a matte box on my XH A1 I use a Lee Filters Wide Angle Lens Hood. It was under $300. It's an expandable bellows and you buy whatever adapter rings you need for lenses. The one I got came with two 2mm filter slots, for resin filters. Some people don't like resin filters and say they scratch easy. They are probably easier to scratch than glass, but I am pretty careful with my gear and have never scratched one.

I also got a set of 4mm slots for glass filters because there may be some I might want that only come in glass, but I like the resin because they're thinner and lighter. They're made of the same stuff as eyeglass lenses. The reason I got this setup was that I didn't want the hassle and weight of a rails system. The Lee is only about half a pound. The 72 mm adapter ring was about $60. Resin filters are cheaper than glass. I think my ND.3 was around $130. If you go to the Lee site you can see the matte box. B&H sells them and all the parts. The guy who answers email at the Lee U.S. site is very knowledgeable and helpful and answers email promptly.

I think Genus also has a matte box that can clamp on or use rails, either way. And don't forget Indifocus. They've got some good and fairly inexpensive things.

Bruce S. Yarock October 9th, 2009 08:22 PM

Bill,
Do you plan to use rails and a follow focus with your 7d?
Bruce Yarock

Bill Pryor October 9th, 2009 08:38 PM

Not right away. I'll probably just use the Lee matte box I have. Normally I shoot by myself and don't have an assistant to follow focus, so I don't really need the follow focus setup. What I do need, though, is Magic Lantern so I can have distance readouts on the LCD. I hope that becomes available sooner rather than later. The distance readout on the XH A1 makes it easy to follow focus by yourself.

The main thing I'll get is one of the LCD hood/loupe devices. I like the Cavision with the swingaway bracket, but right now it only is designed for the 5D, and the LCD on the 7D sits lower, so a thicker plate or spacer is needed. I like the Zacuto next but I don't like the glue on double sticky tape thing, so I'll probably go with the IDC bracketed solution. Looks petty solid. I wish Zacuto had the bracket because I really like their larger eyepiece.

Bruce S. Yarock October 9th, 2009 08:45 PM

I meant using the foloow focus knob on the side to focus the lens by your self. With the letus , shooting by myself, it's easier to focus by turning the ff wheel rather that reaching in front of the camera to turn the lens ring itself.
Spedially if you plan to use the 7D with some kind of support rig and viewfinder, it seems that the ff would be helpfull. I'm expecting my viewfinder and lens adapter tomorrow, so I'll try to set it all up and report bacl.

Bruce Foreman October 9th, 2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1430207)
The main thing I'll get is one of the LCD hood/loupe devices. I like the Cavision with the swingaway bracket, but right now it only is designed for the 5D, and the LCD on the 7D sits lower, so a thicker plate or spacer is needed. I like the Zacuto next but I don't like the glue on double sticky tape thing, so I'll probably go with the IDC bracketed solution. Looks petty solid. I wish Zacuto had the bracket because I really like their larger eyepiece.

CAVISION sold me the bracket with the swingaway plate and an extra "riser" plate to get the T1i I ordered it for up higher. Still didn't quite line up right vertically but it has been useable. Yesterday I used that same setup with the 7D and it actually fits JUST RIGHT. That riser positions the height just where it needs to be.

Call them when you order and tell them you need the same "riser" and swingaway bracket they sold the guy with the T1i down in Texas.

The eyepiece on the CAVISION is actually quite large, 6X magnification has been working well for me. Be sure you keep a quarter or two in your pocket to tighten the 1/4x20 bolt that fastens the "riser" plate to the bottom of the camera. And I had to use one of those 3/8 to 1/4x20 adapter inserts in one of the 3/8 holes to mount on Manfrotto quick release plates. So order a packet of those from B&H.

Bill Pryor October 10th, 2009 01:15 PM

That's great news about the riser plate!

So it goes between the camera and the bracket? In other words, you can still mount your tripod quick release plate on the bottom of the main bracket? Are you saying it has 3/8" inch sockets? No 1/4"? My Libec is 1/4". If so, what adapters from B&H are you talking about? I haven't seen those.

The only hangup I have left is that it only magnifies, doesn't have an adjustable diopter. I wear glasses and am far sighted so that could be a problem. I took an ordinary magnifying glass, don't know what power, and held it up to the LCD on my XH A1, and had to pull it a little farther away than the approximately 3" length of the Cavision hood to be in focus. Just a little. It looks like the Cavision would slide in and out, so I might be able to pull it back OK. probably worth a try.

B&H doesn't have or know anything about the swingaway version. It's always been cheaper to buy Cavision stuff from B&H rather than ordering from Canada, but I guess in this case I'll go direct. Do you recall how long it took to get the order from the time you placed it?

Ray Bell October 10th, 2009 08:11 PM

If you have ever used the Canon 1D pro cameras you know that they come with a great
hand grip... a very nice hand grip.. but that hand grip does not fit a smaller Canon body
like the 7D... well, here you go... there is a solution... let us know when you get one
and tell us how you like it...

Hakuba | Camera Grip LH | KGP02 | B&H Photo Video

and if you like to use the neck strap, then it also works with that too if you see the need...

Ty Haegele October 15th, 2009 04:25 PM

anyone tried the FF from "indiSYSTEM" yet? IndiSYSTEM - Studio 4 Productions - Products