DOF for the Rest of Us - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
nathan,
A friend told me that someone makes an inexpensive screw in adapter that you could buy for each lens. That way you could have one set of filters, that fit in any of the adapters. Don't know who makes them.
My other option will be a mattbox.
Bruce Yarock
Sorry Bruce, didn't watch this thread. Multiple manufacturers make filter holders: Cokin and Lee are the big ones. Cokins are the most common, but are make from plastic or resin and I've had 'em break in the field, but I use 'em because they are cheap! The Cokin P series of filters and holders are the classic example of filters that may not fit in a matte box. Also realize that there is a Cokin wide-angle filter holder...yeah, get that one. Vignetting from a standard-focal-length filter holder is seriously not fun. Been there. Nothing artsy or good about it. :)

If you want to get a matte box, you are getting a filter holder with a fancy hood, with a few other niceties. It's the matte boxes that hold 4x4 or 4x6 filters.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brickert View Post
Hey Kin,
I'd like to understand how you figured that out, so I could do it myself. In particular, estimating the DoF for a given focal length, aperture and distance.
I'd love to say I can do it in my head, but my favourite tool is Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field Calculator - DOFMaster

Most of the common formats are pre-loaded... unfortunately, the iphone version isn't as good as the Windows, Palm or on-line version.

If you download the Windows version, you can print off DOF charts or even a calc wheel.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD