Smaller sensors do not have deeper DOF - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM   #31
Warden
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 8,267
Current thread Title:

Smaller sensors do not have deeper DOF

Statement from prior thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
My central point was the format with the larger sensor was capable of thinner DOF, because it requires a longer focal length in order to keep perspective and field of view the same.
Statement from current thread:

Quote:
That large sensors are capable of everything that small sensors are when it comes to DOF, diffraction, and noise. I ran into a DP that wanted to switch from the 5D2 to the 7D because he thought it had an advantage in deep DOF.
In one case large sensors are capable of thinner DOF and in another thread large sensors are capable of the same DOF as small sensors. Needless to say you've created some confusion.
__________________
Jeff Donald
Carpe Diem




Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:07 PM   #32
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
Current thread Title:
Smaller sensors do not have deeper DOF
That's the best summary of the thread emphasis that I could think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
In one case large sensors are capable of thinner DOF and in another thread large sensors are capable of the same DOF as small sensors. Needless to say you've created some confusion.
I still don't see where the confusion is. Both statements are correct and happily coexist. Large sensors are indeed capable of both the same DOF as well as thinner DOF.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM   #33
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane, California
Posts: 530
I, for one appreciate this thread. Thanks Daniel, for the insight here. I guess gather that your point is, if you can afford it and don't need a tiny camcorder, you're not giving up any advantages by getting the largest sensor camcorder possible.

If you get a large sensor camcorder, and wind up stopping it down to get the most DOF you can, are you risking a soft image because of diffraction? I experience a big drop in image quality with my EX1 when I go above 5.6 or so. With a larger sensor is less of an issue?

Thanks again.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:31 AM   #34
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 949
Thanks, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
If you get a large sensor camcorder, and wind up stopping it down to get the most DOF you can, are you risking a soft image because of diffraction?
No, because diffraction scales with DOF. So no matter what method you use to get the DOF, whether fast f-number on a small sensor or slow f-number on a large sensor, the diffraction will be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
I experience a big drop in image quality with my EX1 when I go above 5.6 or so. With a larger sensor is less of an issue?
It will be less of an issue at the same f-number. But it will be the same issue at the same DOF. Essentially, the relationship between DOF and diffraction is the same for all sensor sizes.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network