Why persist with a 'video camera'? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 12th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Yes it certainly does. Thank you. One last question, on slow mo you say 60-120p.
Could you explain that a bit further?
Thanks again.

Yes...

Lets say we are shooting at 30p and we have 1 second of footage that we want to make take twice as long. Well, each frame is only so long, so when we ask it to take twice as long, we have half the number of frames we need to fill that space. So our 1 second of video has 30 frames in it, but we are asking it to take up the space of 60 frames (2 seconds worth). Well, without doing anything, we would have black gaps between each of the frames.

There are a few ways around this. The first is to double each frame. So we simply repeat each frame once and now we have 60 frames in the right space. The problem is that it makes the motion look weird. A second way is to analyze each frame and try to have the software calculate the movement between the two, and make a new frame to stick in-between. That is VERY computationally difficult, and takes a LONG time for the computer to figure out. And it's making guesses so there will be errors.

So suppose we started off with 60 frames for the space of 30. Then, we could throw out what we don't need when playing back at 30, but when we need that slow motion, we have all 60 frames to use? This is essentially what happens when you shoot at a higher frame rate for the purposes of slow motion. Just tossing out the extra frames when they aren't needed would lead to issues with stuttery movement, so we ask the computer to do some trickery to make it smooth. But rater than make guesses in the dark, the computer now has all the information it needs to make accurate guesses and the 30p from 60p looks smooth. Shooting at 120p would allow us to slow things down to quarter speed and still have all the information we need to make smooth slo-mo.

Does this make sense?
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #77
Major Player

Yes it makes sense the way you explain it. I am used to video cameras where one has little control, if any over shutter speed so this is all new to me.
Thanks again for your patience and explanation.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes it makes sense the way you explain it. I am used to video cameras where one has little control, if any over shutter speed so this is all new to me.
Thanks again for your patience and explanation.
I see in your signature, you list Media Composer 3.0... Dude if there is ANY way you can jump to 4.0x DO IT! There is so much new cool stuff it's not even funny. I was blown away.
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #79
Major Player

I have not tried 4 but I hear good things about it. I love Edius, I find it extremely powerful and fast. I always felt Avid was more for film editors, in that it seems to be set up for film makers but is MC4 a little more user friendly?
Unfortunately I have MC3 Academic version and they won't let me upgrade.
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #80
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have not tried 4 but I hear good things about it. I love Edius, I find it extremely powerful and fast. I always felt Avid was more for film editors, in that it seems to be set up for film makers but is MC4 a little more user friendly?
Unfortunately I have MC3 Academic version and they won't let me upgrade.
Yea, Avid is certainly set up for film editors.. long form editors too. Edius looks very good to me too, but I need some features for my work that Avid has and Edius doesn't. Otherwise I'd be REAL tempted to go that way.
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #81
Major Player

With Edius you can do an alwful lot of editing and effects before you need to render.
I love its chromakey feature....one click and the edges are razor sharp.
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #82
Major Player

Oh uh

I'm comming from 16 mm Aaton and other fine stuff, all 16 mm. Used to change reels, used to record sound on a proper device, today dead easy. To get it sync they've done it with a dead stupid device, u write the reel and something on it, today a bit more pimped but still the best, it is sync...as a flashcard can be reformated maybe the 4 gb can be overcome. Magic Lantern is fantastic, yes. Full format chips are out, and format questions are no questions as it can be converted. I got a 5D to play with, awsome great, anything after edit on my system, I do write to a bluray, have seen discs gone, flashcards are great. Have to think but as nothing for me was ever out and Red , oh, waiting<
Converting industry camera heads is no way as there is a total lack of workflow.
Yes I can wait for the real affordable camera with a full frame chip, but, I' ll try out 7D next month and It could be a love affair......... mac and linux I do love them too
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD