Dual Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Dual Audio

I thought this might be better in a new thread even though other threads have come up on the subject of dual audio. I would like to run a dual audio setup due to the limitation at this time with the 7D's gain. I am looking at the Zoom H4n, and have a couple Sennheiser G2 100 wireless lavs.

My question is this: The lavs have the screw in 1/8" connectors that connect to the Transmitter. Do I convert that connection to XLR or TRS on the H4n and then pass it out the H4n to the transmitter? If so, where can I get an adapter for the threaded connector? If not, do you just run the reciever into the XLR and then out into the camera?

I'm not sure how this works, but fundamentally I would think it would be best to have the H4n before the wireless to eliminate any issues there. Right?
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Maybe I asked the question wrong... no one replied. Let me describe my situation and see if anyone has any input as to suggestions for a way to get the best audio while taking into account editing ease.

I film fishing/hunting videos, and traditionally I have been mic'ing my "host" with a Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 UHF wireless setup. I have the lav and transmitter on him, and the receiver on-camera.

Since the 7D has no way to control gain manually, I think it is best to record on a separate medium. I just ordered the Zoom H2, but can change it to H4n if necessary. Should I have a lav mic going directly into the Zoom that is on the host, or do I run through the wireless and to the Zoom which is on me while I'm filming? I'd prefer to keep the H2 off of the camera, as I will be shooting handheld most of the time.

If the Zoom is on me, do I still run the line out on the Zoom to the camera's line in, or do I just run headphones directly off the Zoom?
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Major Player

The Zoom H2 is around the same size as a wireless transmitter. Either solution would work, but keeping the H2 on the talent eliminates most problems with wireless interference. Granted, hunting/outdoors work isn't likely to have a lot of interference but you never know.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD