Do FD lenses work on the 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Trustee

Do FD lenses work on the 7D?

I have an old A1 and lots of glass that I've been hanging onto. Thinking about a 7D and wondered if the FD lenses will work?
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

from what I am aware of, the answer is no.

I think I have seen an adapter (maybe from B&H), that can take the old lenses on the newer cameras - fd-ef , as it needs optics to do so it acts like a mini extender, extending the focal length x1.25 times and loosing light (1 stop I think), and loosing quality. As the A1 is full 35mm frame and the 7D is an APS-C frame, which is x1.6 the equivilant focal length, you'll be extending twice, so the 35mm lens on your A1 will probably give about the equivilant of a 60mm. Does that make sense??
Jim Jolliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

FD lenses were replaced by EF lenses more than twenty years ago, but there are third-party FD to EF adapter rings.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Trustee

I guess that means I'm old. :) Thanks though, I'll try the adapter ring approach.
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Major Player

You can try the adapter ring approach, but the quality may be disappointing due to the glass element in the adapter.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Not old, Paul -- seasoned.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Major Player

No - not without an expensive adapter. I tried using a cheap third-party adapter and it will fit the camera, but it actually holds the lens too far away from the sensor, and the pictures are all blurry except 2 inches from the lens. Might be good for macro photography, but I wouldn't push it.

On the other hand, the adapter for the FD on a Micro Four Thirds camera works like a charm - and I bought all the FD glass because I originally intended to go with the Lumix GH1, but went with the 7D instead when that was announced.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD