Zacuto Z-Finder or IDC Viewfinder - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Emmanuel, I am interested in this idea as well. My question is does the LCD Screen Hood Pop-Up Shade Cover for 5D fit 7D as well?

Thanks,

P.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

It won't fit the 7D, no. The layout of the back panel with the LCD placement, etc. is different between the 5D Mk. II and the 7D. I'm hoping the company that makes those things will issue a 7D version soon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thank you Chris. I will be looking forward to see the 7D version.
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #34
Regular Crew

ICD Viewfinder

I just discovered this product. It seems like this is what I am looking for.

iDC Photo Store - Specialty gear for the photographer

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Create one that mirrors up and I'm all in.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #36
Major Player

Pedanes,
The IDC version needs unscrewing everytime you want to use the optical viewfinder and prohibits you from using the battery pack and probably will make your life harder with other tripod attachments. With the solution I'm using you can snap/unsnap the Hoodlupe in one second and believe me its a convenience you can get spoiled with, even in stills (actually in stills it is more useful).
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
The IDC version needs unscrewing everytime you want to use the optical viewfinder
iDC now ships an updated quick-release version. It takes about a half-turn of both thumbscrews to remove it... not exactly a hassle by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
and prohibits you from using the battery pack
Absolutely false. It doesn't interfere with the battery pack access.

Quote:
and probably will make your life harder with other tripod attachments.
Not sure what you mean by this; but it actually made my life easier because the iDC base plate is drilled & tapped in several locations which makes mounting it to my tripod quick-release plate a lot easier and much more secure than just mounting the camera to the QR plate by itself.

Old November 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #38
Major Player

I think he meant the Battery 'Grip'...
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #39
Obstreperous Rex

Well it would help if we were all on the same page regarding the terminology and nomenclature of this gear, and the baseline is to call it what the manufacturer calls it. The battery pack is the LP-E6 battery that goes inside the camera. The battery grip is the BGM-E7 dual battery holder that clamps on to the underside of the camera. It's true that the iDC viewfinder isn't compatible with the battery grip or the WFT-E5A wireless file transmitter that also clamps on under the camera body. Hope this helps,

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #40
Major Player

Chris my mistake, I meant the battery grip.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

Whoever that Chinese company is that makes the snap-on LCD cover panel for the 5D Mk. II, I hope they produce one soon to fit the 7D. I have a couple of the 5D Mk. II versions on order and when they arrive I'll try Emmanuel's suggestion for modifying with the Hoodman viewfinder. This will probably be the best way to go for those who are using the battery grip or the wireless file transfer grip module, since the iDC modification can't be used with these grips.

Old November 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #42
Regular Crew

I have been following this thread for a while now. I am totally new to the video DSLR setups at this point. I have a 7D with stock lens and a few cheap lenses from my Rebel with one being the 50mm 1.8. So far I am learning the nature of video DSLR and getting better all the time.

I see these threads about the Zacuto/IDC/Cinevate viewfinders and all the other accessories others add to their cams. The setups look totally cool and I bet work great but it seems to me they could get heavy and cumbersome in my run and gun world of weddings. I want a minimalist approach. The viewfinder add ons for the LCD seem nice if you plan to do most of your shooting with your eye on the eyepiece like a shoulder camera but I don't want to be limited to eye piece shooting. I know they can be removed but as scatter brained as I get sometime I would lose the eye piece and a lanyard to hold it would probably get in my way.

Being the cheapo that I am I found a great solution for a lot less money. Here's my view finder magnification device.

Get a 3 pack of 2x or 2.5X for around $20 at many retailers. A small cord to hold them around your neck when not needed and you are in business. You can shoot in many configurations without having the cam up to your eye or having to remove the eyepiece. Glasses are a lot smaller. It doesn't look as cool as a Zacuto or whatever but hey its cheap and when you get old like me they work great for reading the paper too. :-) Anyone ever thought of reading glasses to save money?

The big rig setups so many have are great for some controlled environments but for running and gunning a set of reading glasses with a monopod would be pretty effective wouldn't it? I am trying to create the most functionality for the money invested. The one item I could see as a benefit would be a follow focus only cause it would be easier to use and smoother. Otherwise my reading glasses and a monopod work pretty well.

Please don't think I am down on the nice rigs some people have setup but it seems you have to invest twice the cost of the camera to get it functional. I would rather spend that money on good glass.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #43
Major Player

The reading glass idea is good (and humorous), but you also need a way to shut out light and stabilize the distance between your eye and the LCD. After about 1 minute with the 7D, I new I'd have to use something like the Z-Finder or HoodLoupe (I have a Hoodloupe now, which I got for my EX1). If the LCD was articulating there might be a way to get around a loupe, but the way it is, it's the only practical way to use the 7D or 5D or anything DSLR for video.

So maybe reading glasses with rubber cups around them. Might look a bit funny but you could also use them for reading :).
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #44
Regular Crew

I'm still kinda new at all this 7D vDSLR stuff but so far the reading glasses have been good so far. It doesn't have to be a fixed length from the LCD screen. For exposure I have been using the exposure meter and lucky guesses so far. It's not a perfect science but it is pretty close for most run and gun stuff. In a more controlled environment like many here get to work in all that extra stuff is really good. I just don't want to be have all that stuff attached an in the way when trying to move quickly. I want to work as light as possible.

I just wanted to offer the reading glasses as an alternative for those on a tight budget or feeling overwhelmed with all the new stuff needed to work with the 5D/7D. I like to try and get big time looks and feel with minimal equipment.....that's a creative way of saying, "I'm cheap". After all I didn't have the money to get a 7D. I got it cause I won a Panny HMC40 at the WEVA convention in September and sold it to fund the 7D. Otherwise a vDSLR would be a pipe dream for the rich videographers.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #45
Regular Crew

A 3X machinist visor also works well and it flips down in front of my normal glasses.
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD