DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Loading files help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/465942-loading-files-help.html)

Bill Pryor October 17th, 2009 03:01 PM

Loading files help

Got my 7D yesterday, no heating problems, looks pretty good. But I'm trying to download some files and not having much luck.

My editing system is FCP, latest version Studio 3, on a 17"MacbookPro. I have an old CF card reader and when I try that, the computer says it can't recognize that card. Won't even let me reformat it if I wanted to.

Plug in the camera via USB and nothing. I installed the software and thought EOS Utility would do it but all it did was load a still image off each video clip.

Manual says something about going to a pdf called ZoomBrowse EX/Image Browser, but I can't find that on either CD.

I'm probably doing something stupid or not doing something obvious. I'd think I should be able to plug in the camera or reader and it would show up like a drive and I could drag and drop the files...but that's not happening. Opening FCP doesn't let me do anything with log and transfer either.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Jon Braeley October 18th, 2009 07:03 AM

Bill, my 7D arrived yesterday and I am about to try some tests this morning - I am on Mac Pro's and Macbooks myself.
For importing you should be using two apps - the "digital photo professional" and you have "EOS utility" - both of these should recognize the 7D connected via usb. These are on the discs. Importing video is the same workflow as a still basically - but I think you should have the live view switch over to video - but I am checking this out soon.
Stay tuned as they say!

Jon Braeley October 18th, 2009 08:33 AM

My set up worked easily.

Connect camera - usb. I used EOS utility which recognized the 7D and the file on the CF card - click download/transfer and it creates a folder in your pictures folder with the date name. I then opened FCP and imported the .MOV file which played fine on a sequence setting for HD. I just converted the sequence setting to Pro-res which requires a render.

I found out that the DPP program is identical to the EOS utility - odd, but you only need one of them to transfer video off the camera.

So this is where you are unstuck Bill - check your discs and get the right program running and you should be fine - I think it is confusing having 3 or 4 utilities on the discs supplied and Canon make little differentiation between photo and video!

Hope this helps.

Bill Pryor October 18th, 2009 10:32 AM

Thanks. I'll check that out. I'd prefer to load via a card reader so I'm going to get a new one this morning. Also do the Snow Leopard upgrade.

Bill Pryor October 18th, 2009 12:52 PM

OK, the new card reader works the way it's supposed to. Thanks for that advice, Chris. Duhh, I thought a CF card reader was a CF card reader, but obviously the one I got with my 20D is obsolete. Maybe it's the UDMA? And I was right about Best (Worst) Buy--the $15 card reader was $30. I've read recently about a firewire card reader that is supposed to be really fast, and only around $50. I'll probably go for one later as I start using this camera for real.

Bill Pryor October 19th, 2009 01:21 PM

On my editing computer at work, when I plugged the new reader in, I get the Canon image software asking me if I want to download the clips, just as everything is supposed to work. New card reader. Who knew. Life is good.

Jeff Donald October 21st, 2009 08:11 PM

The SanDisk Firewire reader is having issues with Snow Leopard under 10.6.1 The next OS update may resolve that. It offers FW800 speed, however, the fastest downloads will be obtained using the ExpressCard 34 slot. You get transfer speeds twice as fast as FW800.

Bill Pryor October 22nd, 2009 09:51 AM

I never thought of that, the 17" MacBookPro has that slot. Guess I should look for a CF-Express Card adapter.