7D/5D combo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7D/5D combo

I've decided to make the move to a VDSLR setup and I was wondering if a 7D and a 5D would make a good combination. I like the additional features of the 7D (multiple frame rates, lower price) but would love to have a full frame sensor for some wide angle shots and the low light capabilities. Would it be better to just go with two 7D cams and put the extra money into more glass? Right now I've got a 16-35 and a 70-200 2.8IS and am considering the addition of the 24-105 which would be bundled with the 5D. Is the lowlight capability of the 5d significantly better than the 7D? I'd appreciate any info.
Alexandru Cristescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Just when you think you have things figured out canon comes out with some new goodies. Don't you just love this industry:)
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
New Boot

Get two 7D cameras. The footage will match and you only have to get used to one camera.
Gustav Damave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #4
New Boot

i agree with Gustav, that is unless your work demands a FF.
Ty Haegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Inner Circle

just so you know, Canon is announcing 24p and 25p for the 5D
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandru Cristescu View Post
I've decided to make the move to a VDSLR setup and I was wondering if a 7D and a 5D would make a good combination. I like the additional features of the 7D (multiple frame rates, lower price) but would love to have a full frame sensor for some wide angle shots and the low light capabilities. Would it be better to just go with two 7D cams and put the extra money into more glass? Right now I've got a 16-35 and a 70-200 2.8IS and am considering the addition of the 24-105 which would be bundled with the 5D. Is the lowlight capability of the 5d significantly better than the 7D? I'd appreciate any info.
I get the desire for a full frame but not sure how important it is considering budget. I think the low light issue will be fine with the 7D unless you are experienced some short fallings with it...
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #7
New Boot

Sorry if this is much discussed, but I wanted to make sure it was clear that the 5d does not use the full sensor to record video (obviously).

So you want the full frame sensor just for taking still photos, right? Otherwise it is not a meaningful factor in differentiating the value of each camera.

I have the 5d and its wonderful, but really, the sensor size is (almost) irrelevant for video purposes. Of course there are DOF issues, and some minor light sensitivity bonuses, but these are very very minor and in practice virtually meaningless.
Jonathan E. Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input guys. I'm deciding to go with a 7D/5D combo. I do mostly wedding videography so the addition of the 5D will work nice for those fisheye and wide angle shots. The upcoming 24p firmware update basically sealed the deal for me.
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I look at the 7D as my long reach camera and my 5DII as my wide angle camera...

They overlap very well depending on the lenses used... I was out the other day shooting
with the 5D and needed a little longer reach on a shot.. I didn't have the 7D yet, but
I sure wish I had it with a 70-200 on it... lots of times its much easier to have two cameras
setup for different shots... I hate going out and having to change lenses over and over again.

As for video, there was a guy that posted some footage that he took with two different
cameras, one on a tripod, and the other handheld... he mixed the footage together very
well... its great to have two cameras that complement each other... you might even invite
one of your buddies to come and help with a shoot...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD