DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Best Lens Combo for 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/466118-best-lens-combo-7d.html)

Mitchell Yazdani October 20th, 2009 06:30 AM

Best Lens Combo for 7D

Hi,

If I want to buy one lens only for 7D to use for wedding video, what is the best lens to buy, also for the future what will be the second one that I should buy?

Cheers
Mitch

Jason McDonald October 20th, 2009 07:57 AM

As a photographer, I can't say that I could work with just 1 lens. If I had to start with a lens for work (On my Nikon) I would start with my 70-200mm. A 50mm is cheap so that would be number 2.

As far as video goes, I'm still new too. Not sure if the same rules apply.

Bruce Foreman October 20th, 2009 11:56 AM

You don't specify what format your Nikon is. The Canon 7D has an APS-C size sensor that results in a 1.6X magnification factor making your starting choice of 70-200 an equivalent of 112 to 320mm. In context of wedding work this would restrict him to telephoto perspective and might make overall views extremely difficult to almost impossible depending on the location.

In the '60s and '70s before zoom lenses became so popular a lot of us covered full weddings with just the "normal" lens that came with many cameras. 80mm for 120 square format, 50mm with 35mm film cameras. I photographed a "ton" of weddings with a pair of Hasselblads and just the normal 80mm F2.8 Planars they came with.

A fair answer to the OP's question might be the 18-55mm offered as a "kit" lens with the Rebel series if budget is a primary consideration or the better grade 17-55mm if he can afford it. Either of these would give him a "basic" wide angle to portrait length perspective to get started with.

Jeff Wisener October 20th, 2009 03:05 PM

I agree with Bruce in that a wider angle lens as compared to a teleophoto type would be better for most people unless you are doing specific sports oriented stuff like myself - surfing in my case.

Chris Hurd October 20th, 2009 03:15 PM

Just one lens? I would recommend the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, which provides an apparent field of view equal to 24mm at the wide end and 135mm at the telephoto end. It's probably the single best multi-purpose lens you could get for the 7D, if you're going to limit yourself to one lens.

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard Zoom - Standard Zoom Lens - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - Canon USA Consumer Products

Daniel Weber October 20th, 2009 06:18 PM

Chris,

Wouldn't you consider the 18-55 EF-S 2.8 IS lens to be a better option because of its low constant aperture?

I hate to spend good money on a lens that is only 5.6 on the long end.

Daniel Weber

Chris Hurd October 20th, 2009 06:36 PM

Hi Daniel, I think you mean the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM:

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard Zoom - Standard Zoom Lens - EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - Canon USA Consumer Products

And the answer is no, not really... the original poster says he wants just one lens, so he needs something that's wide and has some telephoto reach all at the same time. Therefore, for his particular purposes, focal length trumps maximum aperture. I don't think a fast lens is all that critical for the EOS 7D since the ISO range of that camera is so clean and high. Plus, that f/2.8 lens is $1180, making it the single most expensive EF-S lens in the line.

Daniel Weber October 20th, 2009 06:50 PM

Chris,

I guess that I have a hard time buying lenses with variable apertures. Even on my EX1 it drives me crazy that I loose 1.5 stops of light on the long end of the lens.

I haven't shot with a 7D so I don't know enough about its low light capabilities.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective on the issue.

Daniel Weber

Kin Lau October 20th, 2009 06:57 PM

Since Mitchell already has a XL-H1a, I would suggest the Sigma 30/1.4 for low-light, short-dof and a "normal" FOV.

Jason McDonald October 20th, 2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1435290)
You don't specify what format your Nikon is.

D700

While I've never worked with just 1 lens, when I've done engagement sessions I like to use my 70-200VR lens. I can keep my distance but also get in close if I need to.

I know the 7D is a crop sensor and I failed to communicate that I'm working with a FX sensor with the D700 (And a D200 with some DX gear).