FCP workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP workflow

I don't know if perhaps I've simply been spoiled by using DVCproHD for the past couple of years, but it seems as though 7D footage converted to ProRes 422 is quite taxing on my system. Is there something I'm missing that would be causing this or is it just the difference in the codecs that I'm now noticing?
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Contributor

I'm not having any problems with it. Works fine. I use a 17" MacBookPro.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Plunkett View Post
I don't know if perhaps I've simply been spoiled by using DVCproHD for the past couple of years, but it seems as though 7D footage converted to ProRes 422 is quite taxing on my system. Is there something I'm missing that would be causing this or is it just the difference in the codecs that I'm now noticing?
Yes, ProRes is far more taxing on a system than DVCProHD. DVCPro is a 100 megabit codec. ProRes HQ is a 220 megabit codec. Also, ProRes is full raster 1920x1080 which means FCP has a lot more pixels to contend with whereas DVCPro is 1280x1080 (or 1440x1080 if you use the PAL variant).
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Major Player

There might be a setting in either the timeline or the transfer into ProRes that might be causing an issue?

I have been using MPEG Streamclip to do my batch transfer from H.264 to ProRes (been doing HQ so far). It seems to be a little more straight forward to convert that Compressor—less to mess up I think.

I just let Final Cut change the timeline settings when I drop the newly converted ProRes file in.

ProRes might be taxing your system if it's an older machine with minimal ram. Your drive that the ProRes files reside on might be the problem too, if the drive is a slow connection (USB2 instead of Firewire800 or Sata).

See if it's just a setting thing first (if you have a fast machine).
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My machine is kind of old (2.26 GHz Quad Core Mac Pro/8GB RAM). Playback in 24fps is fine, but 30 is always choppy. I haven't tried 720p/60 yet.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

FCP workfrom from Canon 7D continued

I was wondering about the workflow and what codecs people are capturing and editing in? Out of the camera the file is h.264.(correct?) can you just import into FCP?....and then edit in the codec of your choice? (Apple Pro res?)
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Its better to render your clips first in the right codec.

Because if you work direct with h.264 files every change in your timeline will need extra rendering.

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD