how can you shoot with fixed LCD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Contributor

If you want to do low angle shots and not get down on the ground, a small LCD monitor is the only practical answer, I think. They're lightweight, and you can get a swivel hotshoe mount to tilt it up. Another few hundred dollars.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
The other offputting factor is how one would look going around with this kit. Candid shooting would be gone out the window anyway!
I am between animals with my camera!
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you want to do low angle shots and not get down on the ground, a small LCD monitor is the only practical answer, I think. They're lightweight, and you can get a swivel hotshoe mount to tilt it up. Another few hundred dollars.
The cheapest I see are the marshall's. Those aren't a few hundred pounds but thousand and I find them to big. Need something small: 3 or maximum 4 inches. What types are you referring to saying a few hundred dollars?

Did anybody on this forum ever connected a pair of video glasses to any HDSLR?

And Steev, do you really have the 5D, 7D AND GH1? Amazing. I am very interested in some comparisons.
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #19
Contributor

http://varizoom.com/products/monitors/vztft7.html
Not HD but good enough for composing and focusing.
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #20
Major Player

Just an observation from reading, but wouldn't you benefit more from a 4:3 monitor since the output is 4:3 on the 7D/5DM2? Unless I'm missing something, you can't take off the overlays. A widescreen monitor would still leave black sides and your actual "widescreen" footage would be cropped in. Of course, I don't have a monitor yet, but this photo makes me think I'm right:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/wp-co...s/img_0771.jpg
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #21
Regular Crew

LCD Viewfinder Set with Plate for Canon 5D Mark II with Battery Grip

Bill, you were suggesting this thing. It says that it features horizontal, vertical and forwards/backwards adjustment, but what does it mean exactly. Can I change the angle?
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #22
Contributor

No, none of the LCD viewers will change the angle. The only solution is a separate monitor.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
No, none of the LCD viewers will change the angle. The only solution is a separate monitor.
Amen - all these LCD angle hacks are to be used in frustration and disappointment. Ya really gotta use a separate monitor, or using a conventional camcorder, or the GH1 is what I'd recommend. Furthermore, I'd warn against getting cheap LCD external monitors - their resolution really sucks. If it's not HD capable, with component or HDMI, don't buy it.

Next year, hopefully, all this will be some moot points with the next generation of pro camcorders with larger chips. "But what about Scarlet?" That'll need an external monitor too!
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #24
Contributor

Just for framing a low angle shot, I don't think an HD monitor is critical. I just ran across this. Don't know if it would work, but looks very handy. It's different from the viewfinder LCDs in that it appears to take a video out rather than anything from the viewfinder.

Amazon.com: Aputure Gigtube Live view LCD Viewfinder for Canon EOS 450D, 1000D, 500D, Digital Rebel Xs, Xsi, T1i; GT1C: Camera & Photo
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Along the same lines, has anyone tried the 5" or 7" GPS units with video in? The video in is designed for backup cameras on trucks/SUV's, but the size of the unit w/ a built-in battery would make it interesting.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Just for framing a low angle shot, I don't think an HD monitor is critical. I just ran across this. Don't know if it would work, but looks very handy. It's different from the viewfinder LCDs in that it appears to take a video out rather than anything from the viewfinder.

Amazon.com: Aputure Gigtube Live view LCD Viewfinder for Canon EOS 450D, 1000D, 500D, Digital Rebel Xs, Xsi, T1i; GT1C: Camera & Photo
Aha! Well, I'm skeptical about the resolution, but I'll try it out.

*Purchased*
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #27
Major Player

Would be very interested in your after-purchase thoughts Steve.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #28
Major Player

I want to get one of these, but don't want to be the first one. (-:
80" 3D Virtual Video Glasses with VGA Connection (Connect to any PC, MAC, Laptop Zetronix
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:44 AM   #29
Regular Crew

The gigtube live view looks very interesting. I am happy if I can focus with it. Thats the most important. Thanks for the tip.
The videoglasses are nice too, but IŽld like to here some experiences from somebody using it with a camera.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #30
Major Player

I got the Gigtube, and created a new thread for it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1442442-post1.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD