how can you shoot with fixed LCD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 24th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how can you shoot with fixed LCD?

Hello,
I am thinking of buying a HDSLR for the full HD video capability. I was looking at the GH1, because all canon's lack the flexible lcd. I have been shooting with camcorders (vixia series) and cannot live without the lcd. Never use viewfinder. I was very disappointed that canon again comes in the 7d with a fixed lcd. In the announcements I read that it has a good viewing angle and contrast, but I doubt that it will be enough for me. I film insects in bright day-light and usually low to the ground. Are some of you filming under the same conditions with the 7d or with the 5d mark 2? What is the actual viewing angle by which you can still judge the sharpness of the picture? Or is there another method, such as a small external lcd that I can easily plug into the 7d?
Thanks,
Rob
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The 7D has HDMI out that can be used with an external monitor.

It also has composite out and thats what I use when I put it on the Steadicam Pilot.
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the respons.
Is there something simple (and small) on the market that is easily plugged in the HDSLR, fixed on it and maybe even fed by it?

If it is something big or complex, i go for a PAN GH1 or maybe even NIKON.
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Contributor

Most everyone uses a magnified viewer, like the Zacuto Z-finder, or one from Cavision or IDCPhotography. http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder or http://www.cavision.com/viewfinders/MHE52-5DBGSET.htm or http://www.idcphotography.com/kart/i...=129&parent=31
It is very difficult to shoot hand held or in bright sun without one of these.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

But these are straigtforward. It is not possible to view into it from above with let's say an angle of 45 degrees. Does something like that exists? Anyway I have been shooting in bright daylight with the lcd on the hv20 for years! For me only the angle counts.
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob deJong View Post
Is there something simple (and small) on the market that is easily plugged in the HDSLR, fixed on it and maybe even fed by it?

If it is something big or complex, i go for a PAN GH1 or maybe even NIKON.
I haven't seen any monitors small enough. I have a Marshall monitor if I really need to get specific with the 5D/7D...

Marshall Electronics - V-LCD70P-HDMI
http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/V-LCD70P-HDMI_big.jpg

But it's rather large and needs battery power.

I also have the GH1, and I'll tell you right now, it's the best thing out there right now with a large sensor with articulating display (for the price).

I couldn't decide between the 5D and GH1, so I got both, and the 7D on the way as well. Different tools for different needs.
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Major Player

i find the lcd to be ok in daylight. having to be on the same level all the time is annoying.

i was thinking (not very seriously) about a set of video glasses. If there was such a thing as an eyepiece for one eye it would be sweet!
http://www.allvideoglasses.com/video-glasses-reviews
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Steev,

I was looking at that Marshall monitor, but I'm curious to see exactly what you see on it connected to the 7D.

Could you post a photo of the live view in action on the Marshall monitor?
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am also curios about the Marshall on an articulating arm. Originally I was going to get the Ikan 5.6 but then I saw the Marshall with Peaking and other functions and thought this would be a better purchase. Wish I could get a smaller screen with HDMI and peaking.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #10
Trustee

Rob,

One of the things I would consider is "rigging" a small mirror you could look down at. Maybe a piece of aluminum sheet bent at a 45 degree angle with a hole for 1/4x20 short bolt with knurled thumb knob to secure it to the bottom of the camera and a mirror glued to the "bent upwards" part.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Has somebody used these items:

lcd viewfinder canon, Photography items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

With the Viewfinder LCD protector I will have a mirrored image. i suppose you can get used to that.
With the LCD Angle-changing Viewfinder from LinkDelight I am not sure about the angle.

Rob
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob deJong View Post
With the Viewfinder LCD protector I will have a mirrored image. i suppose you can get used to that.
I'm also curious as to whether their using optical grade mirrors. If not, you'll see ghosting and focusing will be near impossible. However, it might be acceptable for snagging some still shots with auto-focus.

I'd like to hear if anyone has tried one. As for flipped image, that would drive me crazy. This all brings me to a few thoughts. If we're that serious about a video shoot, bringing along an external monitor should be standard. If just trying to run and gun it, I'd bring the GH1. I'll be testing mixing footage from the two cameras sometime this week.

I'll also be testing the Marshall monitor with the 7D this week as well.
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
i find the lcd to be ok in daylight. having to be on the same level all the time is annoying.

i was thinking (not very seriously) about a set of video glasses. If there was such a thing as an eyepiece for one eye it would be sweet!
Video Glasses Reviews | Video Eyewear
Why would you need an eyepiece for 1 eye? The glasses will work on 2 eyes. I just wonder if the resolutions of the glass AND of the video output of the camera will match.
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #14
Major Player

Back in the good old days when there was no LCDs the best approach was to keep both eyes open. The inside eye was looking through the viewfinder and the outside eye was kept open also. After matching the diopter the outside eye would match up with the angle of coverage of the eye looking through VF. This served as a way of getting an extended view of whats actually happening outside the frame. Useful for both creativity (in terms of planning ahead when shooting live) and safety.

A set of videoglasses as they are could work very well too though. Even if it was just a regular cheap set of SD glasses with a composite video-in. I would love to be able to try it out without outlaying the expense. The other offputting factor is how one would look going around with this kit. Candid shooting would be gone out the window anyway!
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Major Player

That link delight angle changer looks interesting Rob, cheap an cheerful.
i'd nearly always need the lcd pointing straight up as these days i usually shoot with the camera below my head level.

LCD Angle-changing Viewfinder For Canon 450D 500D A1F on eBay (end time 27-Oct-09 09:40:31 GMT)
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD