DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Help selecting ultrawide zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/466439-help-selecting-ultrawide-zoom.html)

Craig Coston October 25th, 2009 04:17 PM

Help selecting ultrawide zoom

Currently my only decent glass is my 28-135 IS Canon that came in the kit with the 7D and a 50mm f1.8 lens. I also have an 18-50 Sigma DC f3.5 - 5.6, but it's a cheap kit lens that really isn't that wonderful.

I would like to get an ultrawide zoom and tried to order the 10-22mm Canon through Dell, but for some reason they canceled the order. I'm thinking it might have to do with their being out of stock on it and maybe they don't have another shipment for a while. Really wish they would have contacted me though. Regardless, I'm now researching if that is my best option. I would like something that is similar or even slightly wider than my Sony FX1 with .6x Century wide on it. Looking through the 18mm Sigma I have, I see that 18mm is just a hair wider than the FX1 without the Century w/a.

Some info on what I shoot so you can help me decide:

I shoot fly fishing videos, and often find myself on small water with my host very close to me. I find it absolutely necessary to have the Century wide on the FX1 during this time, and sometimes still wish to be even wider. I don't shoot a lot in really low light, so I don't think anything better than F4 is absolutely necessary. I shot a bit with my 50mm 1.8 and found myself having to do a variety of things (ND, higher shutter speed, stopping down the lens) in order to expose correctly during most of the day. There are rare occasions where the 1.8 comes in handy, but they are few and far between.

I find it tedious to have to adust exposure when zooming in or out, so having something like a fixed f4 would be nice. Is f4 enough though, or should I spring for the 2.8 Tokina? I'm unsure at this point. I may end up renting a few lenses to see what I like more, but I hate money going towards something that I'm not purchasing. On the other hand though, I'd hate to purchase something that didn't suit my needs.

Thanks!

Craig

Alvise Tedesco October 25th, 2009 04:32 PM

Tokina 11-16 is gorgeous. Don't need to look elsewhere

Chris Hurd October 25th, 2009 05:59 PM

I used the Canon EF-S 10-22mm quite a bit last week and really liked it a lot. It's pretty much back-ordered everywhere right now though, probably due to its popularity. It's a great lens for the money.

Craig Coston October 25th, 2009 08:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was wondering if anyone has experience with either of Tokina's 12-24 f4 lenses? I think I am still undecided between Canon 10-22, Tokina 11-16 (probably hard to find right now), and Tokina 12-24 (Dx or DxII)

Ron German October 26th, 2009 09:01 AM

regarding Tokina 11-16 / 2.8

May anyone confirm that about 14-16mm, Tokina 11-16 / 2.8 works on full-frame as well?
I read this info on B&H user reviews.
Thank
Ron

Michael Murie October 26th, 2009 09:23 AM

Do you mean the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX?

If so, this warning is on the B&H specifications page:

Note! Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras or digital camera with image sensor bigger than APS-C size; (currently) only fits on the EOS Digital Rebel series or 50D, 40D, 30D and 20D SLR cameras

Ron German October 26th, 2009 10:53 AM

I know Michael. Yes, it`s the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX.

But despite the warning, one 5/24/2009 review says "It does what it says - a f/2.8 UWA that fits on the APS-C Canon cameras. At about 14-16mm, it works on full-frame as well. Focuses fast, with a push-pull autofocus engagement ring. Heavier than most lenses in its range, but that's to be expected given the aperture."
I wonder if someone here can confirm this info.
Thank
Ron

Kin Lau October 26th, 2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron German (Post 1437982)
May anyone confirm that about 14-16mm, Tokina 11-16 / 2.8 works on full-frame as well?
I read this info on B&H user reviews.
Thank
Ron

This is the thread you probably want to look at then. There's an example there of @ 16mm on a 1Ds.
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 on FF - FM Forums

Daniel Weber October 26th, 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Murie (Post 1437989)
Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras or digital camera with image sensor bigger than APS-C size; (currently) only fits on the EOS Digital Rebel series or 50D, 40D, 30D and 20D SLR cameras

the 7D is APC-C so no problem.

Daniel Weber

Jeff Wisener October 26th, 2009 02:50 PM

Yes, no problem as long as you stay with that cropped sensor. Just make sure you know you will not be going full frame...

Ron German October 26th, 2009 03:58 PM

I`ll probably buy a 7D with a Tamron 28-85mm zoom (my strategy is work with full frame lenses for future proof) and if Tokina perform ok at 16mm with a full frame camera it would have an added value.
Thank you.

Shawn Wright October 26th, 2009 06:37 PM

I have had the 10-22 since the day it was released.

I treat my gear with no particular loving care like some, in fact I am kinda tough on my stuff and this lens has withstood it all. I am a studio owner not a video guy but it has been in rain and cold and heat and done well. Images look great.

I can say that I have had super wide sigma's and they have not been as tough. I have no experience with Tokina but I would wonder how rugged they are. They might be tougher than any Canon but my point is that quality is not just in the glass but in the construction also.

Have you tried my local store? I am sure they had a 10-22 EFs

Murphy's Camera