DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   How do I meter when using Nikon lenses? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/466447-how-do-i-meter-when-using-nikon-lenses.html)

Paul Cascio October 25th, 2009 05:51 PM

How do I meter when using Nikon lenses?

I must be missing something, but the viewfinder meter never changes when I stop down the lens. How do I meter when using Nikon lenses on my 7D.

Also, can I only use manual mode?

Thanks

Bill Pryor October 25th, 2009 06:02 PM

Use a regular light meter would probably be the best way.

Paul Cascio October 25th, 2009 06:11 PM

You mean I can't use the camera's built in meter?

Benjamin Eckstein October 25th, 2009 06:15 PM

There might be a Nikon to EOS adapter that sends the electronics but most don't so you cannot use the light meter in the cam.

BTW, what adapter are you using and are you happy with it. I bought one cheap one (about 20 bucks) and there is way too much slop for it to be useful.

Thanks,
Benjamin

Paul Cascio October 25th, 2009 07:22 PM

I got one from Fotodiox on Ebay. Works fine as far as fitting the lens to the camera, I'm just surprised the camera won't meter the light coming through the lens.

Ray Bell October 26th, 2009 06:52 AM

The camera will meter the light...

you manually set the aperture you want the lens to be at and you manualy focus the lens.
The camera will meter the light and adjust the exposure for you

Paul Cascio October 26th, 2009 08:39 AM

Ray, do I set the camera to Aperture Preferred or Manual?

Thanks

Bruce Foreman October 26th, 2009 11:34 AM

In Av mode the camera will meter the light coming in and adjust shutter. Manual focus is necessary a already mentioned.

In M mode the camera will meter the light coming in but you have to adjust shutter until the indicator in the viewfinder shows the pointer at the center (or set for whatever under or over exposure setting you want.

I don't know about other modes because I keep the 50mm F1.8 Nikkor and it's adapter with the T1i kit and haven't even put it on my 7D (I have an EF 50mm F1.8 that stays in the 7D bag since all of it's functions work with the 7D Manual mode for video).

Kin Lau October 26th, 2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1437737)
I must be missing something, but the viewfinder meter never changes when I stop down the lens. How do I meter when using Nikon lenses on my 7D.

Are you still in Auto-ISO mode?

Paul Cascio October 26th, 2009 12:32 PM

Thanks Kin, I never considered that.

Kin Lau October 26th, 2009 02:49 PM

Auto-ISO was a bit of a puzzle the 1st time I tried manual mode. :)

Tony Sal October 26th, 2009 04:22 PM

Not sure about the Nikon lens metering but when in AV or TV mode the camera reverts to AUTO. AV and TV priority do not apply when in video mode on the 7D.