DVi Review: Learn 2 Shoot Great Video on Your Canon 7D with Philip Bloom DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVi Review: Learn 2 Shoot Great Video on Your Canon 7D with Philip Bloom DVD

Our review of F-Stop Academy's newest release is up:

Review: Learn 2 Shoot Great Video on Your Canon 7D with Philip Bloom DV Info Net

Comments, questions and corrections welcome!
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Major Player

I would love to see some of Philip Bloom's secrets in creating some of his shots, but this sounds more like something you can get from blogs online about the camera. Does he actually go into detail on creating some of that Bloom essence or is it all pretty basic for a more "experienced" DSLR shooter?

I just don't want to watch a video telling me how to change settings on my 7D. Settings he or others have already blogged about.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Wrangler

If you spend a lot of time on the forums and reading blogs you're probably not going to get a lot that you haven't heard somewhere else already, especially if you followed the 5D. Aside from the obvious differences, actually using the cameras is pretty similar. It is nice to see someone doing it, but take into account that the video's only an hour. If you're an experienced DSLR shooter and have video experience, there's going to be less for you than someone coming from just a video or photo background or someone completely new to media production.

If you're interested in hearing some stuff from him about the look you might want to check out the thing they have up on F-Stop Academy for free right now:

Learn to Create the Film Look

They also might have some behind-the-scenes stuff for ____'s People in there somewhere.

I'm somewhat torn on the price point. On one hand, I know how much time and energy this stuff takes to produce, and this DVD is a polished presentation. On the other, I know how popular the 7D is and how many people want to shoot video with it, and it seems like a lower price point might allow a broader reach. At a lower price it would be a no-brainer for anyone interested in HD with the 7D, especially with digital distribution and no media cost/instant gratification. That's Philip and Dennis's call, though, it's their DVD and it's your call on whether or not you think it's worth it for you.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok, thanks. That's what I was thinking. I would have dropped $50 or so just to check it out—even if it was slightly redundant info.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Trustee

Where is the dvd for sale?
bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Wrangler

It's available as a digital download now, the DVDs will be available in a week or so. I think Zacuto might be taking pre-orders:

Philip Bloom Blog Archive 7D and 5DmkII training videos now available as digital downloads
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Kramer View Post
Our review of F-Stop Academy's newest release is up:

Review: Learn 2 Shoot Great Video on Your Canon 7D with Philip Bloom DV Info Net

Comments, questions and corrections welcome!
Excellent review, Jenn!! Your write-up was clear, detailed, and candid with lots of insights. As an owner of Philip's 5D DVD, I also appreciate your effort to compare and contrast the two DVDs as well as the intended target audience.

On this or another forum, some were rumoring that owners of Philip's "Learn 5D Mark II Canon Cinematography" DVD would be entitled free access to the download version of the upcoming 7D video. Is this correct?

Incidentally, as of today the only place the media (DVD or download) seems to be available is here - it's not on the F-Stop Academy website.

LearnDSLRvideo - Learn 2 shoot great video on your Canon 7D with Philip Bloom (Instant Access Download)

*** Correction ***
While google isn't picking this up, indeed I find the DVD and download at Philip's personal website here:

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/10/26/...tal-downloads/

Again, thanks for providing an excellent review!

Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Wrangler

Thanks, Michael. I haven't heard anything about a free or discounted digital download of the 7D disc, you'd have to ask Phil.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nistler View Post
On this or another forum, some were rumoring that owners of Philip's "Learn 5D Mark II Canon Cinematography" DVD would be entitled free access to the download version of the upcoming 7D video. Is this correct?
Is not a rumor. It was stated somewhere in this forum.
I'm really counting on it

i bought the 5D DVD just a week ago to start doing some practice with my 7D, and i just can't believe the 7D DVD is out.

so unfair.

At least free access to the relevant chapters for the 7D Users would be great.
Roberto Lanczos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #10
Wrangler

FWIW, the 7D DVD was announced on the 13th:

Philip Bloom Blog Archive 7D Video training DVD/ digital download coming soon
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Kramer View Post
Thanks, Michael. I haven't heard anything about a free or discounted digital download of the 7D disc, you'd have to ask Phil.
Okay, I'll let y'all know the status when I've received Philip's response...

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Major Player

Don't want to sound like a big jerk, but $100+ for a DVD? Ouch! I'm not saying that the value isn't there for some, but I can buy a movie DVD for $15 that cost the producers millions to produce.

I would probably spend up to $50 on something like this, but even that would be pushing it. I think the DVD is probably great, and I want it, but just my comments would be it's very pricey!

I'm going to have to pass. :(
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

It's not rare for specialty training videos to be expensive. They have a very small target market, so they generally charge a lot to try to make their money back.

That said, you don't need to spend the money, if you don't want to. I think it depends on how you learn. Some people learn best by reading manuals, watching videos and such. Others learn by exploring and trying things hands-on. I'm in the second group, so I tend not to buy training stuff. For people in the first group, it could be an excellent investment.
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #14
New Boot

Does Philip talk about sliders in this video?
Anders Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #15
Major Player

i bought it, found it very useful at times, but not nearly as useful as this forum!

For the price, I thought they could have included a bit more detail. There was far too much about what gear you need as opposed to a guide about settings and even getting started with the basics.

Some of the stuff was, however, invaluable, so I am glad I did get it.
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD