7D video : big pixel in low light ! ISO ? or ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
New Boot

7D video : big pixel in low light ! ISO ? or ...

Hi!
Here, I bought the EOS 7D and the picture quality is ok but for the video I 'd like to know how in low light i can remove the effect of grain and pixel ?
Is it because of the iso in low light (night time) ?

Big pixel !

Do I put the eos in automatic or manual mode ?
And where can I find good tips for adjusting 7D video ?

Ok thanks !
Daniel
Dan Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I would stay in manual for video, but you might need to check out Philip Bloom's 7D dvd (or digital download) for tips and explanation of settings.

LearnDSLRvideo - Learn 2 shoot great video on your Canon 7D with Philip Bloom (Instant Access Download)

ISO adds noise. The more ISO, the more noise. You need a faster lens, ie smaller f-stop number (1.4, 1.8, 2.8, etc) to allow more light in the lens for the sensor to see. You may have a lens that has a larger number, allowing less light in the lens (4, 5.6, etc).

You have 4 things to change to get more light in:
1. shutter speed (which should remain constant at double or close to double of frame rate)
2. aperture
3. ISO
4. add a light

If you search, people have done tests of ISO settings with less noise. They are:
ISO 160
ISO 320
ISO 640
ISO 1250

Here is the source if you need to take a look:
Canon 7D ISO versus noise test images Marvelsfilm’s Blog

I'm actually purchasing the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 to get more light in:
Canon | 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus Lens | 2515A003 | B&H Photo
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks

Many thanks David !
I now understand .... the links and suggestions are perfect for i need !
Thanks
Daniel
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lim View Post
Hi!
Here, I bought the OES 7D and the picture quality is ok but for the video I 'd like to know how in low light i can remove the effect of grain and pixel ?
Is it because of the iso in low light (night time) ?

Big pixel !

Do I put the eos in automatic or manual mode ?
And where can I find good tips for adjusting 7D video ?

Ok thanks !
Daniel
Hi Dan, I also use the 7D for low light situations and I usually shoot at 1250 ISO. I don't think it would be possible to totally eliminate the noise and grain. However, I believe the image quality is better than what any other dedicated video camera is capable of getting due to the fact that the sensor of the 7D is so much bigger.
I am sure there are more experienced people in here who can correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Ofer
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer Levy View Post
I believe the image quality is better than what any other dedicated video camera is capable of getting due to the fact that the sensor of the 7D is so much bigger.
I am sure there are more experienced people in here who can correct me if I am wrong.

Ofer Levy Photography
I'm interested in this too. I'm learning to shoot with the 7d and so far it's easy to get the sexy shallow focus footage, but I haven't been able get the dazzling low light stuff -- it doesn't seem significantly better than my 1/3" 3ccd hd camera. I'm using a fixed 2.8 24-70mm.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I'm interested in this too. I'm learning to shoot with the 7d and so far it's easy to get the sexy shallow focus footage, but I haven't been able get the dazzling low light stuff -- it doesn't seem significantly better than my 1/3" 3ccd hd camera. I'm using a fixed 2.8 24-70mm.
According to my experience, the XH-A1 needs about 3 stops more light than the 7D to get the same noise level. That means that if the XH-A1 is at f/1.6, I can stop down the 7D to f/4.5. If your experience is the same, and it sounds like it is, then f/2.8 is not enough to blow away the 3-chip. I suggest an f/2 or f/1.4 prime if you can.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you do still end with some noise you can use neat videos plugin for FCP (Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video). As a test, I just stuck the 7D in full auto mode (with manual focus) and walked around outside at night, in the house etc. The clips below are not in focus or exposed correctly but do show the effect that the neat video plugin can have. When in focus and correctly exposed the effect is amazing with very little softening of the picture. The two stairs pictures are focused on the carpet on the top stairs. Again, none of these shots are inspiring. I purposely sought out bad in order to see the limits of the camera and how well things could be rescued from a worse case scenario.
Attached Thumbnails
7D video : big pixel in low light ! ISO ? or ...-mvi_0261-xdcam-noise.png   7D video : big pixel in low light ! ISO ? or ...-mvi_0261-xdcam-filtered.png  

7D video : big pixel in low light ! ISO ? or ...-mvi_0261-xdcam-stairs-noise.png   7D video : big pixel in low light ! ISO ? or ...-mvi_0261-xdcam-stair-filtered.png  

Last edited by Declan Smith; October 30th, 2009 at 08:01 AM.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Neat is a great tool, although it slows my system down about 5X. I've been able to improve good video and salvage lousy video. Very good product. Take some time and shoot samples of different scenarios at different setting in controlled situations then store those filters for future use.

I also am an XHA1 user and I find I have preferences for the 7D or the XHA1 depending on what I'm shooting. I think it's easy to forget that the A1 has great, fast L-glass, so if you compare it with 7D kit glass at f3.5-5.6, you have an uneven playing field. Put an f1.2 or 1.4 on the 7D and it cleans it up substantially, although it still has more noise than I expected (and I'm on my 2nd 7D). Neat really helps clean either camera's footage.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #9
New Boot

no i try but ...

Well the video I MADE has still the same grain. even in 200 iso (pixel) in low light, ... how you arrive to avoid this ? i cant !
But I know that 7D is the ability to do that because in error I have managed a superb video test without grain in low light, and thats great !
But i lost the setup !
So here's another question: how to appear on the video viewing all of the adjustments setting to lose nothing of all this ?
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Make sure you're shooting in 1080 HD, you might be shooting standard definition which would cause this.
Alex Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD