Psychological impact of 7D ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Psychological impact of 7D ?

I wonder if there is a Psychological impact on the client when you show up to film with something that looks like a standard camera. I can't help but wonder if they second guess about the amount of money they are spending when the videographer shows up with something that they perceive as a camera. I plan on purchaing the 7d and the thought crossed my mind.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Get it all tricked out with a cheap monitor, cheap rails, cheep follow focus,and matte box
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Kevin, this is exactly the point (post #5) I brought up in this thread about a GH1 or 7D versus my normal corporate rig (Sony EX3). It's certainly a factor one needs to be aware of!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...roduction.html
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't know about how a client would percieve it, but I do know most people who see my 7D assume it's a still and often act accordingly, with goofy fake smiles.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If I were someone who didn't know a thing about video and I hired someone to shoot video for me and they showed up with a DSLR ... I'd have to wonder if the person I hired knows what he's doing.

Either deck that thing out, or have a good long conversation with your client(s) before you show up.
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

even my video friends are skeptical when I show up with my canon 7d. i have to explain to them "no, no, this one's different."
Alex Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Just stick one of these on it and everything will be copasetic...

THALES ANGENIEUX cinema/digital cinema > 35 mm > optimo 24 - 290
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Trustee

If I were the person hiring a videographer, I know that the videographer knows his video camera very well. With the 7D, however, some videographers will not know the 7D well enough to overcome unforeseen technical issues that may come up during a real shoot.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Just stick one of these on it and everything will be copasetic...

THALES ANGENIEUX cinema/digital cinema > 35 mm > optimo 24 - 290
MSRP: $63,280.00... lol
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

That'll show 'em! LOL!
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Major Player

No, I don't agree with this, well, yes, I know you don't agree either, but I also don't agree with indulging and spice up the rig just for this purpose.

Your client doesn't hire you to show off your gear but to produce whatever needs to be produced at high quality.

I believe that being confident in yourself/team and gear will show in the final product and that very final product will help the client change/dissipate his preconceptions (if any) as well. Technology advances to the point where these principles simply don't stand anymore.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yes, there's a psychological aspect involved when working with paying clients.

After years of shooting with a large, shoulder-mounted DV camera, our company upgraded to the Sony EX-1. Even though the images it produces are incredible, there are people who don't think it looks "serious" enough compared to the older-style, piece-of-crap camera.

If you throw rails, follow-focus and a mattebox on the 7D, you should be business. I'm planning to toss mine in the kit as a B-camera when shooting with the EX-1, but even so I want to grab some accessories to make it look more professional.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Carlson View Post
Yes, there's a psychological aspect involved when working with paying clients.

After years of shooting with a large, shoulder-mounted DV camera, our company upgraded to the Sony EX-1. Even though the images it produces are incredible, there are people who don't think it looks "serious" enough compared to the older-style, piece-of-crap camera.

If you throw rails, follow-focus and a mattebox on the 7D, you should be business. I'm planning to toss mine in the kit as a B-camera when shooting with the EX-1, but even so I want to grab some accessories to make it look more professional.
I agree. Pimp your 7d.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #14
Regular Crew

There are two sides to this discussion. The impact it has on clients an the impact it has on the general public. I can't discount the psychological impact the camera has on clients as I've had a client turn down an entire project of mine because they didn't like the look of the camera I used on the shoot. Not the footage, the physical look of the camera. It was a Panasonic DVX100. They said it looked like something I got at Best Buy and that my predecessor used a professional camera to shoot their last ad. That "professional" camera was a JVC GY-DV500. So I ended up having to go back an reshoot the whole thing with that camera. The footage looked terrible because I wasn't familiar with it's layout and latitude, but of course they approved the spot.

On the flip side, I recently tried to take our HVX/M2 Encore rig out to an outdoor festival to get some shots for a long-form video my company is producing. I couldn't get a decent crown shot to save my life because anyone who saw the monstrosity I was humping around immediately sought shelter from it. I can understand people being a little leery about being on camera, but the way people were dodging me that day you'd think I was carrying around a shotgun. Tonight I used the 7D for the first time on a shoot and while I got the footage I wanted from it, the actors didn't respond to it any differently than previous cameras I'd used. Actually, they were more impressed with the portable LCD monitor I hooked up to it. That made me laugh.

It's a slippery slope when talking about how the camera will be received on shoots, but that's even more of a reason to keep a standard video camera around. While it's easy to say I would never allow a client to dictate to me what camera I use, I would like to continue working in the video business.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #15
Major Player

I agree that some people like being impressed with large cameras and a ton of equipment—merely because that's what they are used to. Some people don't care at all as long as the end result is great.

With the 7D, you can easily snap a few RAW or large JPGs and transmit them to a nearby laptop to show clients the lighting and composition. This helps if you only have a small LCD (8" or less) to view. I've also found the 7D to be much easier to manipulate for interior interviews—compared to my cumbersome JVC HD-100 with matte box, rails, and follow focus.

If you are worried about clients thinking you have a tiny camera (ha), then get some black poster board and build out a fake enclosure. Better yet, buy some broken Sony body and "hide" your 7D inside the pieces so no one will ever know you are shooting with a DSLR.

Canon 5D MKII ENG Camera rig in detail

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD