Monitor preference for 7D (or 5D...) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 1st, 2009, 02:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Monitor preference for 7D (or 5D...)

I've been looking into monitors now and I am ready to make the purchase. Some people on here are using Marshall (like Philip Bloom) and some are saying Ikan. Is there a major difference or are they pretty much the same? I understand the biggest point will be the battery powered monitors vs the AC adapters.

Ikan's new 5.6 high res display looks cool with the deluxe kid under $800 at B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Monitor.html

Last edited by David Chapman; November 1st, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
David Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Major Player

I have the Ikan 8 inch HDMI monitor and it seems pretty overpriced for what I got. It is very light (which is good), but it feels VERY fragile. When the 7D outputs in live view it sends out a much smaller picture than when playing back back recorded material. So a 5 inch monitor is not gaining much over what the on-board monitor is giving you. I had a Marsahall SD monitor and it had a great picture and felt very rugged, but was pretty heavy. I know this is not much help, but just some of my observations.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Major Player

I have seen reviews of the 8" where people said it felt "cheap." I know the 5.6 is newer, but it is 1024x600 res.

I see some other people excited about the Marshall V-LCD70P-HDA 7" and it looks like it has the focus assist (outlining of what's in focus) which would help:
Marshall | V-LCD70P-HDA 7" LCD Field Monitor | V-LCD70P-HDA

I realize that the 7D only outputs a 4:3 image so YES the sides would be empty on a widescreen monitor. Do you think going SD for the monitor would be better? It seems I would need to go out composite, unless there is some Mini-HDMI to Component breakout cable. Isn't that what you would need for the Marshall above anyways?
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Major Player

There's also the SmallHD 9" monitor.
9" Small LCD Monitor, On Camera Field Monitor - the DP1 by SmallHD
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Wow. I think I'm pretty excited about the smallHD DPI monitor. It's larger than the Ikan and Marshall to make up for the 4:3 image being displayed by the 7D and it seems like it will work anywhere.

Does anyone use this with their 7D now? edit
Looks like Trammell Hudson is using the DPI for his ML testing. I don't know how I missed that before. I feel like I did when I discovered DVInfo for the first time. ;-)
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chapman View Post
Man, I wish I had seen that before I spent the money on the Ikan........
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Tourist

Alex Reid

Just to let everyone know,

If you press the INFO button whilst in Liveview, the HDMI output (to an on-board monitor) cycles between 4:3 view, 4:3 with additional info/waveform and finally clean 16:9 output, so you can monitor and record with full 16:9 image on an on - board monitor.
Alex Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Great info Alex! Thanks, and welcome!
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yeah I notice this cycle a few weeks ago with my Marshall V-LCD70P-HDMI.

Also if you're using ML with cropmarks and this monitor, if you do this cycle and then go to 1:1 pixel on the Marshall when you're recording (doesn't work until camera goes in to 480p) the crop marks become correct on the screen (I'm using 1:2.35 marks). Although I feel the actual image while viewing is very slightly skewed somehow in this mode, I think it's all pretty close to final outcome.

I'm loving this monitor!!!
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Alex,

Alright you big gayer. How you finding your 7Ds? Gave mine a little run out in Morocco over the weekend. Did you buy a monitor? If so, which one? Still haven't tried my TV Logic yet. Have you got a HDMI to DVI cable? If so, can I borrow it to try out my monitor.
I'm not working the rest of this week, fancy meeting up? I'm off to Malta on a job mid next week, so anytime before that is good.

Jim

p.s. I found that the new Quicktime 10 (Apple Snow Leopard OS) can't handle the footage, but if I use the old Quicktime 7 it plays fine. Might just be my old MacBook.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Regarding this thread, I already had a 7 inch TV Logic LVM-071W monitor.

TV Logic 7" Multi-format LCD Monitor LVM-071W

It's a fantastic monitor that is HD and SD, has a waveform monitor, can take v-lock batteries on the back, and has focus peaking.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet with the 7D as I don't have the correct cable (see previous post).

Will let you know when I do.

Jim
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Major Player

I've seen the TV Logic at DV Expo earlier this year. Fantastic image. Best I'd seen, including the Marshall (which is no slouch). And the viewing angle was highly usable.
If you have the budget, I suppose it's great.

For me, though, I'll be buying the SmallHD. VERY good at a much more reasonable price.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Major Player

Sort of off-topic, but trying to figure something out I thought I heard (and hoping I am wrong). When you plug the HDMI into a monitor does it shut off the LCD on the 7D? I am hoping this is not the case so I can use the LCD while a director watches a monitor, but I fear that I heard that somewhere. I ordered an HDMI cable but I don't have it yet to try.

Thanks,
Benjamin
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #14
Major Player

Yes plugging in the cable does shut off the onboard monitor on the camera.
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #15
Tourist

Alright Jim, thanks for the 7D rental recommendation in other forum. Have'nt really had chance to play around with 7d's too much (apart from shooting viral for Moro restaurant in Exmouth Market with Rob Barlow and all L series primes) because Ray has had them working with Hungry Man Productions and Drogba in Ivory Coast (Overheating problems!!- They are definately due to the Z finders capturing and doubling the heat released from LCD screen). Sadly, already, lots of disgruntled 5D MkII owners are spreading vicious rumours about excessive noise and poor picture quality on 7D compared to 5d Mk II sensor, I'm not convinced at all (we own two 7D's and one 5D Mk II). With regards to on-board monitor, after much exhaustive research, and actually rigging a selection of monitors to the camera (never on the hot-shoe of the camera! - risk tearing whole top of camera off! - Either on the hot shoe off-set of an 'L' bracket screw-in flash holder- $13 B&H- then Manfrotto 482 LCD Micro Ball Head to Hot Shoe adaptor or Feral Equipment's brilliant solution of Manfrotto 143BKT Camera Platform for Magic Arm- coming out of tripod screw thread in bottom of camera, then again Manfrotto 482 LCD), decided on the Ikan V5600. We were happy to spend the money on the Marshall (even the 651 ST HDMI, which by the way is not noticeably different in image quality from their much cheaper 70P), but thought it too heavy and cumbersome for hand held. It weighs 1.3 lbs compared to the Ikan's 0.7 lbs, that was the deciding factor for me, even though we're foregoing the very handy focus peaking and false - colour exposure meters (false colour not working entirely on the Canon's - does'nt go from yellow into red for over-exposed highlights). You still have easily the best monitor around (the TV Logic), but realistically, due to size and weight, this can only be used when camera is on sticks or as an off - board monitor on a stand.
Alex Reid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD