Canon 70 - 200 f2.8? Is IS needed? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
At 135mm, it's really handy to have the IS. Seeing the benefits of the IS, I don't think I'll get another zoom lens without it.
For shooting hand held video IS is a real boon whatever the focal length of the lens. The wide end of the 24-105mm F4L is the widest stabilised EF lens that Canon make but I would love a 24mm lens with a larger aperture that had IS.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #17
Major Player

How about IS handheld versus other stabilization?

I'm still saving my pennies for that 70-200 IS, and I'm curious how much it can tolerate. From the comments above it looks like it is a good supplement for existing stabilization (tripod/shouldermount). But how do you operate it handheld? Do you hold it like a rifle with one hand on the body and another on the tripod mount? How long can you hold that position steady?

I tried the neckstrap trick on my 85mm prime and the picture was still all over the place. Held with two hands seemed worse. I guess the balance is different with the prime being short. Makes me wonder how much gross movement the IS can tolerate.
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #18
Inner Circle

The Canon 70-200m F2.8L is pretty heavy & long. Using it hand held for video would be difficult even with IS. I would suggest that at the least a monopod is necessary because of the weight & balance.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #19
Major Player

Well I got the Tamron 70 - 200 f2.8 and after messing with it over the weekend I can't imagine trying to shoot video with it handheld for any amount of time. I really don't belive any amount of IS would help it's just that nose heavy. Like I said in my original post that it would be used mostly on sticks and now I can say 99 percent of the time that will be the case. I also think that the Tamron is lighter than the Canon so it would be even worse.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #20
Regular Crew

My bro is a pro news photog for a major daily newspaper. Here's his take on the 70-200:

"I'd go with the non-stabilized Canon lens. Less stuff to break down. I've got it on on my 70-200, but it's turned off. Burns batteries and I find it annoying when it shifts the image on you."
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I realize it's a little late for some, but I would be wary of the Tamron. I came very close to purchasing one for stills (I'm fairly happy with my 28-70mm Tamron), but held out for the Canon. Still haven't picked it up yet, but LensRentals.com is liquidating their entire stock of Tamron 70-200mm because of reliability issues.

It looks like they cleared out their Canon inventory already, but you can read about it on the Nikon version: LensRentals.com - Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for Nikon

Thanks for the tip on the 70-200mm Canon being replaced. I need to get that in my kit (and yes, it's nearly impossible to shoot video handheld with that.)
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #22
Contributor

Most people are not going to be using any lens that long for handheld work when shooting video. For stills, that's a different story. Even with IS and a shoulder mount, you're not going to get steady hand held shots on anything that's not pretty wide.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM   #23
Major Player

After trying video with excellent L glass without stabilization vs IS glass (non -L) I can say that non stabilized glass beyond about 60mm is not that useful unless you are on a tripod, and a steady one at that.

For handheld it's a must unless you are really wide. The main problem with the IS lenses is that they make a lot of noise while the IS is on. Any close mic will pick it up.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM   #24
Major Player

You guys need something like this:
Steady Stick
I can use it all day long, I use the mini one without the side bar, I borrowed a 70-200 IS from a photog friend and shot on it and it works just fine, I shot this video:
with a shorter lens and the steady stick but the 70-200with IS is just as stable with the steady stick.
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #25
New Boot

IS for handheld, turn off when mounted

I can't suggest the Canon 70-200 IS enough. Its very light ( about 3lbs.), it works, and when the x2 extender is stuck on it, the IS is worth every bit of extra $ I spent for it.

I have not had the opportunity to get one of these yet, (Its on my list tho!)

BushHawk - Home

PS>thanks for the news bout the vers I possibly going down in cost ( I hate changing glass, so this would be excellent to get another one for my x2 unit )
Julius Kuziemski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD