DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D Accessory List (sans audio) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/467112-7d-accessory-list-sans-audio.html)

Jeff Reagan November 4th, 2009 07:49 AM

7D Accessory List (sans audio)

I'm a fairly experienced stills photographer, but I'm very new to video. I just love the creative opportunities the 7D platform makes possible. I've now shot video with the 7D a few times, and it's clear to me that I need to add some equipment if I'm going to produce good work, or to take my skills to the next level. I'm going to leave audio accessories out of the mix for the time being (for basics, I have the Rode stereo videomic).

First and foremost, I need to be able to do critical focusing. So, at the top of the list is the Zacuto Z-finder (I've got one on order). I have a decent tripod, but need to add a video head. Beyond that, it seems there is a ton of equipment which could be purchased, but I'm wondering if there is a correct "order" of purchasing items for someone who is just learning the art? Here is my current (ordered) list:

1. Zacuto Z-Finder
2. Video Head (need recomendations)
3. ????, $$$
4. ????, $$$
5. ????, $$$ ...

Would love to see input on this "ordered list." Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jerry Porter November 4th, 2009 08:14 AM

The next thing on my list (already bought the Parfocal lenses) is a follow focus set up probably from Red Rock.

Jeff Reagan November 4th, 2009 09:44 AM

This is an incredibly naive question, but what aspect of focusing functionality does follow focus help with?

Jerry Porter November 4th, 2009 10:19 AM

If you have a shallow DOF and a moving subject it will allow you to adjust your focus to your subject as they move much easier than by trying to do it on the lens. Also say you are shooting on a set and the talent moves across it to a set mark for the next action, you can mark the follow focus ring (with a grease pencil or dry erase marker) as to the focus of that particular spot and move your focus to it without having to guess. Make sense??? I know it's not the best description, but hopefully you get the idea.

Jeff Reagan November 4th, 2009 10:26 AM

Yes, this makes sense, and I definitely see the need for it soon.

In addition to Red Rock, what are some reasonably priced units for the 7D for someone just starting out and learning these skills? Are there any special video head things to consider when purchasing one of these?

Should I get this right after the Zacuto finder?

Jerry Porter November 4th, 2009 10:40 AM

I'm no big expert at this, but I put my money on the parfocal lens first before the viewfinder. You can set focus the old fashion way with those and be able to use a little zoom out in your video if you want.

Jeff Reagan November 4th, 2009 10:51 AM

Which parfocal lens did you buy? Can you provide a link? Thanks!

Jerry Porter November 4th, 2009 10:54 AM

This one
Tamron | 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF Lens | AF001C-700

and this one

Tamron | SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD | AFB005C700 | B&H

Jeff Reagan November 4th, 2009 11:16 AM

Parfocal Lenses

Thanks for the links. How can one tell from reading specifications if a zoom lens is parfocal? Are these Canon zoom lenses parfocal?

70-200mm f/4L IS
17-40mm f/4L
24-105mm f/4L
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5
28-135mm f/3.5

I've got the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 on order to address low-light wide angle shooting needs.

Brian Luce November 4th, 2009 11:18 AM

I use this one, No as wide as the 17-50 or long as the 70-200, but a good walk arounder.
Tamron 28-75 review

Jerry Porter November 4th, 2009 11:20 AM

I called Tamron USA and spoke with their tech dept to find out about the those two particular lenses. I'm pretty sure all the L canon lenses are, but I would call and ask to be sure. The guys at Calumet seems to know there stuff better than the guys at B&H. I bought the 17 - 50 from Calumet, but I ordered the 70-200 from B&H as they were almost 100 bucks less.

Jeff Reagan November 4th, 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Porter (Post 1442698)
I called Tamron USA and spoke with their tech dept to find out about the those two particular lenses. I'm pretty sure all the L canon lenses are, but I would call and ask to be sure. The guys at Calumet seems to know there stuff better than the guys at B&H. I bought the 17 - 50 from Calumet, but I ordered the 70-200 from B&H as they were almost 100 bucks less.

Gotcha... I believe that the Canon zooms that I listed above are parfocal, but I'll need to confirm.

As for follow focus, is this a kit/configuration you'd recommend?

"Captain Stubling" DSLR Bundle

Or, just this:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....=2&category=11

If not, what would you recommend? I assume this attaches directly to the video head, or directly to the tripod?

David Chapman November 4th, 2009 03:48 PM

Hey Jeff,

It's really tough to pick out a rig/rails system for the 5D/7D because you don't want to spend a ton, but you also don't want to buy something cheap.

The "Captain Stubling" seems like it might work ok for some, and it does have a follow focus attached, but it doesn't solve the narrow pivot point problem. Since the cameras are so small, the pivot point is actually your wrist (or size of the camera body) where other video cameras are larger to lengthen the pivot point to your body. Some shoulder mounted cameras don't have image stabilization in the lens at all because you can easily stabilize the shot with your body's position. Not so with these tiny cams. That's where rigs really help out —lengthening the camera's size.

I would say that the Eye Spy rigs would work out better than the Captain Stubling, but I am going with the Field Cinema Bundle since I want a shoulder mount, will need to mount other items like an external monitor and audio input, and have potential for a matte box later down the road. You can't do all that with the Eye Spy.

You can really get a feel for these items and how they work on vimeo. The Redrock Micro site is horrible for providing product shots that sell you on the function.

Jerry Porter November 4th, 2009 03:56 PM

Thanks for posting that, I have been trying for days to get them on the phone to ask questions that video just answered!!

Jeff Reagan November 4th, 2009 10:21 PM

77mm Fader ND filter

David--thanks for the link indeed!

I'm about to purchase a 77mm Fader ND filter which fits these three lenses:

17-40mm F4L
24-105mm F4L
EF-S 10-22mm F3.5

Does anyone know if this filter vignettes with any of these lenses and, if it does, how much? Thanks!