77mm Fader ND Filter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The 77mm Fader ND is basically an 82mm filter in a 77mm step-down ring so I would be amazed if there was any vignetting with the 1.6X crop of the 7D.
Does that mean if I have a 77mm lens and get the 77mm Fader ND, will the original 77mm lens cap work still? Or would I have to get a 82mm lens cap to cover the 77mm Fader ND?
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I also purchased a circular and linear polarizer and don't understand why anyone would purchase these more expensive ones, they are the same thing only thinner
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I also purchased a circular and linear polarizer and don't understand why anyone would purchase these more expensive ones, they are the same thing only thinner
Sorry for the dumb question, but how are they the same as a adjustable ND filter? I didn't think you could adjust a circular or linear polalizer.
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Ubshura View Post
Does that mean if I have a 77mm lens and get the 77mm Fader ND, will the original 77mm lens cap work still? Or would I have to get a 82mm lens cap to cover the 77mm Fader ND?
A 82mm lens cap was included with my Fader ND. Just FYI.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Mike I'd like to learn more about what your suggesting. Are you saying that if you use a circular polarizer along with a linear polarizer it becomes and adjustable polarizer?

If so about how many stops do you gain?

Also if that's the case what and where could I find such a thing?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Ubshura View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but how are they the same as a adjustable ND filter? I didn't think you could adjust a circular or linear polalizer.
Hi Lloyd. Yes you can adjust a CP filter. It is in 2 parts, one screwed to the lens and one on the front that is turned to change the filtering effect.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM   #22
Regular Crew

A polarizer and an ND are two totally different filters that do totally different things. It just so happens that one side effect of the polarizers is light loss.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:49 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Mike, I think you answered your own question. The Fader is thinner, hence you can actually use it on wide lenses without vignetting. Also the faders are actually cheaper than most Cpl and LP combinations.

Graham,

A variable ND IS two Circular Polarisers back to back, that's how it works to give the ND effect.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:02 AM   #24
Trustee

I bought the Singh-Ray 77mm and got step rings to fit my other lenses. It works well and I'm totally happy with it.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:03 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Oh cr*p, I did not know that. So with any vari ND, you may or may not also be getting the effect of polarization as well depending on the current amount of rotation?
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #26
Major Player

Buy a linear polarizer and a circular polarizer. Screw the circular one on to the linear one. Mount both to your lens. Turn the outer ring of the circular polarizer...waalaaa! A fader ND. There are many brands to chose from but I got my two from B&H for under $100.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Buy a linear polarizer and a circular polarizer. Screw the circular one on to the linear one. Mount both to your lens. Turn the outer ring of the circular polarizer...waalaaa! A fader ND. There are many brands to chose from but I got my two from B&H for under $100.
The 77mm version of the Fader ND is under $110 including shipping so you don't make much of a saving & purpose made variable density filter is thinner, more convenient & works better. The 58mm Fader ND is around $65 including shipping. The combination of two polarisers is still cheaper than the over-priced Singh Ray variable density filter & you do of course get a couple of polarising filters to use standalone. I bought a a CPL & LPL cheap from Ebay when the only option was that or the $400+ for the Singh Ray but now the Fader NDs are available at reasonable prices it's really not worth bothering with a DIY job.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #28
Major Player

I have the Fader brand and it seems well made and high quality, though I haven't used it much yet. Is it inferior in any way to the Singh-Ray?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I bought the circular and linear polarizer slightly bigger than my biggest lens. I bought step up rings for all my lens sizes. No vignetting. Cheap. Work as well as the expensive variable NDs but a bit thicker. Saving $70 - 300 for a little thicker filter.

No brainer.
Old December 25th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #30
Tourist

I've got 3 ND 77mm filters for my 10-22 (4x,8x,400x) at 10mm you can only use one (removing the UV filter) if you zoom in a little (like 12mm) you can stack 2. Going over those numbers will get you visible vignetting. I've also got a 77-72 and a 77-62 adaptater to use it on other lenses.
The best tip I can give you is : keep them the cleanest you can. You will likekely use them with small apertures and long exposure, so any spot will be noticeable. I use only dry microfiber cloth.
Jacky Hicks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD