DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   shutter speed vs. aperture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/467679-shutter-speed-vs-aperture.html)

Buck Admas November 13th, 2009 11:57 AM

shutter speed vs. aperture

during bright daylight shooting in photo and video mode, what are benefits of using ND filter for shallow DOF photography vs. achieving correct exposure by increasing the shutter speed to match a wide open aperature?

i'm newish to the DSLR thing and still trying to understand. Also, when shooting video with different lenses, how can i make sure the footage has even exposure and DOF across both lenses without a lightmeter and exposure chart? Thanks.

Steve Phillipps November 13th, 2009 04:48 PM

In movies if you use too fast a shutter speed the image strobes quite irritatingly. Rule is to use a shutter speed double the frame rate (ie 1/60th second at 30fps).
Steve

Nik Skjoth November 13th, 2009 05:35 PM

right... Try recording running water and go from 1/60 gradually up to 1/1000, you'll see why you wanna keep it low.

Chris Hurd November 13th, 2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Admas (Post 1446923)
how can i make sure the footage has even exposure and DOF across both lenses without a lightmeter and exposure chart? Thanks.

Manually set an aperture value at or below the maximum aperture of the slowest lens.

For example, if you have these lenses:

EF 50mm f/1.8
EF 70-200mm f/4L
EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6

The maximum aperture value of the slowest lens will be f/5.6 at the full telephoto end of the EF 28-135mm lens. Therefore you'll want to manually set an aperture value of f/5.6 or slower no matter which of these three lenses you're using.

Liam Hall November 14th, 2009 05:52 AM

That will work for depth of field but not exposure Chris. These are f/stops not t/stops. The light transmission will vary between lenses at the same f/stop. Zoom lenses in particular will vary greatly compared with primes and you could quite easily find yourself missing exposure by a stop, which on a digital camera could be crucial.

I suggest the OP learns the histogram and how to use it. That will tell him exactly what is going on.

David Chapman November 14th, 2009 10:45 AM

Liam, I noticed this a few weeks ago when I got the 50mm f/1.4. I took a photo with that lens at 2.8 and then another photo with my 17-55mm f/2.8 (trying to match focal length) and the 50mm appeared to be a stop brighter (at least a half) at the same aperture setting.

The histogram and exposure readings in the camera should help produce a good exposure for each photo/video. Any other details can be adjusted in post.

Nigel Barker November 14th, 2009 03:12 PM

The depth of field depends on several factors including aperture, the focal length of the lens & the distance of the subject. Keeping a constant aperture while changing to a lens of a different focal length will not maintain the same DOF. See here for an interactive calculator Online Depth of Field Calculator

Nigel Barker November 14th, 2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1447042)
Rule is to use a shutter speed double the frame rate (ie 1/60th second at 30fps).

If in PAL land with 50Hz power then the shutter speed should be 1/50 to avoid flickering under artificial lights.

Steve Phillipps November 14th, 2009 03:44 PM

Yes of course, but in PAL land 1/2 shutter would be 1/50th as you'd be shooting 25P.
Steve

Liam Hall November 14th, 2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1447378)
Keeping a constant aperture while changing to a lens of a different focal length will not maintain the same DOF. [/url]

It will if you change subject to camera distance by the appropriate amount.

Nigel Barker November 15th, 2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1447391)
It will if you change subject to camera distance by the appropriate amount.

Agreed so if you switch from a 50mm to a 100mm lens then if you double the subject to camera distance will the DOF remain the same for the same aperture. Aperture, subject distance & lens focal length are the variables in the equation but sensor size which is the other factor in the calculation will remain constant for a given camera.

Liam Hall November 15th, 2009 08:44 AM

Yes, well pretty much yes. The theory isn't perfect.

Here's a good explanation.

DOF2

Buck Admas November 16th, 2009 09:04 PM

cool. thanks for all the help guys