DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   How do you convert to Pro Res on a Mac? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/467769-how-do-you-convert-pro-res-mac.html)

Jim Jolliffe November 15th, 2009 03:59 AM

How do you convert to Pro Res on a Mac?

Hello,

I've got a MacBook and an iMac, which do struggle a little with the h264 files.

I keep hearing people say that the best route to go is to convert the 7D files to ProRes. How do I do this?

Can I do it in Quicktime? I find that QT 10 is very limited with exporting file types so I tend to still use QT 7. First of all, is this correct or am I missing a trick or two in QT 10?
I've also got the latest iMovie and Final Cut Express but haven't really taught myself how to use it yet.

Any help in this conversion would be great.

Cheers,

Jim

Daniel von Euw November 15th, 2009 04:20 AM

Try "mpeg streamclip" - its free and fast with a very good quality and have a nice batch modus.

Daniel

Greg Boston November 15th, 2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jolliffe (Post 1447561)
I find that QT 10 is very limited with exporting file types so I tend to still use QT 7.

IIRC, there is a place in the QT preferences for 'use legacy codecs' which should offer more encoding options. I remember this issue coming up before, but I'm not at my Mac to verify the settings.

Hope this helps,

-gb-

Jon Braeley November 15th, 2009 06:50 AM

MPEG Streamclip (by squared5.com) is the way to go. Batch process all your Canon .movs into ProRes or almost any other codec you wish. I convert to XDCAM EX 1080p24.
It is faster then Compressor I think and streamclip is free!!

Liam Hall November 15th, 2009 08:35 AM

Is ProRes a supported edit format in FCE? I thought that it just supported HDV and DV, in which case you'd have to use the Apple Intermediate Codec.

Have a look in Easy Set-up. If it's there you good to go, otherwise you'll be in render hell.

David Chapman November 15th, 2009 09:48 AM

From what I can tell, ProRes is a FCS only option. You can get a ProRes decoder for Quicktime (Mac and PC) to play the files, but that won't help for a transcode. That must be the selling point for the full studio over FCE. I know it has more flavors of ProRes than I currently have with Studio 2. I'd like to use the LT version, but all I have is regular and HQ.

Jim Jolliffe November 15th, 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 1447578)
IIRC, there is a place in the QT preferences for 'use legacy codecs' which should offer more encoding options. I remember this issue coming up before, but I'm not at my Mac to verify the settings.

Hope this helps,

-gb-

There doesn't seem to be any preferences in the new Quicktime 10????? It all seems pretty basic compared to QT7 (pro). I think that Apple are trying to get people like me to buy Final Cut, the same way they made iMovie more simplified in the newer version.

David Chapman November 15th, 2009 06:52 PM

Jim, you should still have QT7 in your Utilities folder on Snow Leopard. But, if you don't have Final Cut Studio, you won't be able to convert to ProRes (components come in FCS 2 and 3).

**Did you try downloading and using MPEG Streamclip to convert to ProRes? I wonder if it installs the components for itself, not requiring FCS at all. For the record, I have never used Quicktime Player to convert to ProRes. I was using Compressor until I discovered MPEG Streamclip.

From what I recall, Apple was trying to do away with their "Pro" version of the player and allow QT X to have all of the features (no limits). Maybe their reasoning to include QT7 in the Utilities was to make up for some items not yet integrated.

James Dierx November 15th, 2009 10:58 PM

I use compressor. Works great.

Jim Jolliffe November 16th, 2009 07:41 AM

Okay, so I've downloaded MPEG Streamclip, and it looks great, loads of different formats to save to. But I can't seem to find the ProRes option. Is it called something else?
Anybody fancy giving me a step by step guide.

Cheers,

Jim

Liam Hall November 16th, 2009 08:52 AM

Step 1: Try a different codec. ProRes comes with the ProApps.

Jim Jolliffe November 16th, 2009 09:47 AM

Thats the question, which codec? There are so many. I only talk about ProRes because everybody seems to think it's the best option.

Jim Jolliffe November 16th, 2009 02:45 PM

OK, sorted.
I realise I didn't have the ProRes codecs because I only have FinalCut Express, not Pro. A friend sent me a folder with these codecs so now I have them. They work in Quicktime Player, MPEG Streamclip and FCE.
He also explained some of the different codecs to me and to be honest, I still don't really understand.

Michael Maier November 17th, 2009 01:15 PM

MPEG Streamclip and Compressor both supposedly introduce a gamma shift to the clips. Media manager is slow but seems to be a better option to convert to Prores.