Neoscene or mpeg streamclip - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sertic View Post
Ha, I was looking for a close substitute for Prores so I could avoid having to buy and learn how to use a Mac or pay $$$ for Cineform. I want to do some time-remapped slow motion with nano footage and already have a reasonably fast quad-core PC, so I figured my existing PC plus PP/AE/twixtor was a way better value than buying a new Mac plus FCP/Motion, but I wasn't sure of what was a suitable intermediate codec for that setup.
I think it's a great low budget solution. You can get a refurb'd Dell i7 Quad for $500, Vegas Pro 8 for about $200, Freebie MPEG Streamclip, Freebie Avid Codec and you've got a poorman's powerhouse NLE. What's the Mac PRO and FCP package going to cost? 6 grand?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Mpeg Streamclip offers little support for AVI files on the PC. So I typically use the Avid DNxHD codec as my target codec.

If I am making Proxies, I use MJpegA. I also find that trying to use my Jpeg200 codec inside Mpeg Streamclip causes it to crash, so I have to do that archive render inside my NLE

I am Windows Based.
I use pro9 and every time I try to convert 7d files into dnxhd, when I import the into Vegas, the application freezes and crashes. Any ideas??
What parameter do you use in streamclip when you usae the dnxhd??

Thank you
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Hmm, that's odd. I never have that trouble on any of the three machines I do this on. In MpegStreamclip:

I select DNxHD, usually use DNxHD 175x if I am bringing masters into Vegas, or DNxHD 36 if I am doing proxies. Make sure the interlacing option is turned off. Other than that, I just let it do the render and it comes into Vegas perfect. I do this in Vegas 9, Vegas 8.0c and Vegas 8.1. And right now on my timeline are DNxHD files I used Mpeg streamclip to convert from the 5D.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #34
Major Player

dnxhd and vegas

Where do I find the "175x" value? (I do not have access to my workstation right now where streamclip is installed).

Thank you.
Carlo
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM   #35
Inner Circle

If you select DNxHD in Mpeg Streamclip, there will be a button for options right next to it. This will bring up a list of all the different options for bitrates you can use.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM   #36
Major Player

dnxHD

Thank you so much. I will try again this pm.

Carlo
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM   #37
Major Player

dnxHD

Quote:
If you select DNxHD in Mpeg Streamclip, there will be a button for options right next to it. This will bring up a list of all the different options for bitrates you can use.

What about the "quality" fader...should I breing it to 100 or leave it at 50?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM   #38
Inner Circle

It has no bearing on the DNxHD codec.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #39
Major Player

dnxHD

The "Options" pop up window has a glitch. How do I get to the bit rate?
Thank you
Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:03 PM   #40
Major Player

Ok

I go it...Thank you
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #41
Tourist

streamclip comparison

Hi guys

So i converted a clip with streamclip using DNxHD codec setting 1080p 23.97 10-bit and it seems to look a bit faded compared to the original. It still isn't smooth in Premiere CS4. I found that if you drop the 7D original clips on the premiere timeline and render timeline, the footage runs smooth on my Quad core 2.4 ghz. Can i just render time line and work with originals or am I getting a quality hit once i color grade?
Lucas Mro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #42
Inner Circle

It looks "faded" because DNxHD is set up for legal NTSC / PAL color and luminance. If your originals fall outside of the legal ranges, then you'll see this on your computer screen. What does the signal look like on the scopes? That is the accurate reference. Computer monitors make AWFUL judges of color and luminance for video.

I also wouldn't expect it to run smoothly if you are using DNxHD 175x. That is a LOAD for most computers to carry. Especially at 1080p. The 7D is running at less than 1/3 the bit rate (though with a tougher codec).

Generally, you edit with the DNxHD 36 on the timeline, and use the 175x for mastering.

In terms of a quality hit, yea, the difference between the DNx and the original files is massive.
Old December 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
It has no bearing on the DNxHD codec.
I wanted to update this. This is in fact, not correct. The quality slider should ALWAYS be at 100%. It does make a difference. I was able to see it clearly in some night scenes I was working on.
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:31 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sertic View Post
There's a little glitch in streamclip on my computer where you can only see the top edge of the quality selector in the options window, but I got it to work.
Yes, it's wonky, you have to click the skinny white bar and then you'll get a drop down of all the frame rate/sizes.

I also get the aforementioned luminance hit in the 709 space.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #45
New Boot

Quote:
It looks "faded" because DNxHD is set up for legal NTSC / PAL color and luminance. If your originals fall outside of the legal ranges, then you'll see this on your computer screen. What does the signal look like on the scopes? That is the accurate reference. Computer monitors make AWFUL judges of color and luminance for video.
I have a similiar problem. I converted Canon's 7d original file to DNxHD via Quick Time Pro and when imported to Premiere Pro CS3 it seems a litle bit brighter then the original. I dont know if the original falls outside of the legal ranges. I don't know how to interpret the scopes correctly.
On the other hand the original looks exactly the same as on my camera's lcd which is exactly how i would like it to look.

Something strange happens later when i export finished edit back to DNxHD. The footage bec omes even brighter. Anyone knows what is going on?
Kuba Majewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD