lens manual focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

lens manual focus

I have 2 quite expensive lenses. Nikkor 24-70 F2.8 and Nikkor 17-55 F2.8 DX
Now I want to use them on my 7D
But the problem is that for manual focus the focus ring can keep on turning even after infinity and that causes some trouble with my follow focus.
Is it the same problem with the Canon lenses or which kind of lenses do you buy best for the 7D ?
I also have some old Nikkor AI lenses (28, 35, 50, 85 f1.4) and the focus ring won't keep turning continueously and that's easier.
What do you suggest ?
Go with the primes ?
go with the zoom lens and deal with that focus problem ?
Buy canon lenses ? :D
Bart Wierzbicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I haven't had a chance yet to try many Canon primes. I have a Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 Macro that the focus ring also keeps on turning.

I'm not sure if all primes are like that though.
Pat Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Trustee

Bart,
The only nikon lenses that will work with the 7d are those with manual aperture rings at the base. i had been shooting photography with Nikon gear, and when I bought my Letus extreme, I quickly realized that my main 2 nikon lenes, 17=55 2.8 1nd 70-200 2.8 vr, would not work with the Letus because neither have manual aperture. Any of the nikon primes, or the 80-200, for example, will work with the 7d, but you need an adapter. I bought the fancy one with the focus assist chip from Fotodiox, and it works well.

I started off thinking that I would use the 7d for video only, and keep my Nikon gear for photo. But I soon realized how much more versatile the 7d was with Canon lenses, in that you can use the same lnses for either photo or video. So i kept my inexpensive Nikon primes for my Letus, sold the rest of my Nikon gear and bought Canon lenses.
Good Luck
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD