DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Marvels_Cine_V1.2_rel.pf2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/468166-marvels_cine_v1-2_rel-pf2.html)

Dror Levi November 21st, 2009 09:11 PM

Marvels_Cine_V1.2_rel.pf2

1 Attachment(s)
I tried today the Marvels picture profile and for the most part I liked it.
The only problem I had was the skin tone.
It was ether too washed and what ever i did in post was not that good or i got yellowish stains.
white balance was auto.
does anyone experiment something like it?

Benjamin Eckstein November 22nd, 2009 11:37 AM

I used it a few weeks ago and got the same results. Very yellow, almost clay like skin tones. I liked the flatness for grading, but I can't really work with those skin tones. I emailed some stills to Martin cause he was curious about my findings.

Khoi Pham November 22nd, 2009 11:46 AM

He flattened it so that you have more room to grade in post so it was meant for you to do some grading not using it as is, you need to manual white balance, can't rely on auto white balance, if after manual white balance and you still have that yellow cast, go into white balance shift and shift it 2 click toward blue and magenta.

Ian G. Thompson November 22nd, 2009 05:13 PM

Good tip Khoi.

Steev Dinkins November 22nd, 2009 05:57 PM

I tried it out, and I can see a use for it under certain special circumstances. I'm glad I have it loaded. However, I've been sticking to more standard settings because I hate having to struggle that hard to get back to normal, especially with skin tones with the Marvel setting. It is disturbingly flat. So you have to really know what you're after and have experimented with the post workflow, or you could get yourself in a heap of trouble, in my opinion.

It can be challenging to correct. I have to go into Color and get very curvy.

Dror Levi November 23rd, 2009 02:14 PM

Sunday I had a wedding to shoot and I used the 7d on a wedding for the first time.
I did not relay on the 7d footage only and back it up with my fx1000.
So I get all my images to look like the pic I originally posted.( I saw the replys of you when I came back from the wedding)
Any work flow suggestion fixing it with Sony Vegas?

Robert Sanders November 23rd, 2009 09:22 PM

The thing about Marvel's Cine is that it's NOT a cinelook preset. It's a "Low Contrast" preset. IMHO it should be thought of as such and NOT a cinema look.

Bruce S. Yarock November 23rd, 2009 10:18 PM

robert,
Do you have any linkd to 'cinema" looks?
Bruce yarock

Robert Sanders November 24th, 2009 03:59 PM

I do not. I've only just started experimenting with this camera. I've been using Marvel's preset and dialing in the look in post (using Apple's Color).

Bruce Schultz December 3rd, 2009 05:38 PM

I've found that I like everything about Marvel's gamma curve except the pasty/chalky skin tones I get. Even with exact exposure, faces look like 2 pounds of makeup have been applied. I can minimize the look with CC in FCP7 by de-saturating and some other tweaks, but I'm really looking for a picture style curve that maintains the same gamma curve effect overall but treats skin tones more normally.

I've tried the Genesis Panavision and SuperFlat curves but they are too flattening. The Standard and Neutral OEM picture styles are way too punchy and high contrast - like interlaced video looks. Normally I use gamma highlight suppression curves on my Sony F900R and EX1 to mitigate high exposure areas of a frame and they don't affect skin tones at all, so I'm a bit stumped as to why this is happening. The 7D really needs a gamma curve employed for highlights, so it is a bit of a conundrum.

If anyone has developed a perfect Picture Style curve, please post it or a link to it.

Keith Moreau December 3rd, 2009 07:06 PM

Yeah, I'm waiting for a EX1/EX3 to 7D mapping for Cinegamma 1 and Cinegamma 4. I tried Marvel's, it's nothing like the the EX1 cine and I can't use it for people cause I'd need to color correct too much and it's not natural. So then it's limited, so I stopped using it. Anybody got good EX-D7 Mappings? Thanks!