DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Rode NTG3 or something else ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/468264-rode-ntg3-something-else.html)

Bart Wierzbicki November 23rd, 2009 04:52 PM

Rode NTG3 or something else ?

I don't have anything for recording audio and for weddings, I don't like
giving the bride a groom a big piece to put in their pocket to record their audio.
So I was thinking of a good shotgun mic.
Is it possible to have the Rode NTG3 on the 7D or do you advice something else ?

Chris Barcellos November 23rd, 2009 05:06 PM

My two cents:

The NTG-3 is a shotgun mic. It is phantom powered only. The power has to come of the camera or mixer, or recording unit. Probably not going to be a good choice for the 7D unless you are running something like the Juiced Link CX231 to provid the power.

Remember too that the shotgun mic is directional, and narrows the field of pick up. You still need to get it as close as you can to your voice source. On camera mounting is generally not the best way to do that for any mic. But in the wedding setting you mentioned it is often get sound, so you may want to consider mic that has a bit wider field to pick up to give you some room to work.

Obviously for vows, best way is to mount at least one participant with a lavalier mic, with either a recorder, or a radio unit. You just aren't going to be able to isolate from a distance.

Bart Wierzbicki November 23rd, 2009 05:15 PM

Hey Chris,
I know the lavalier is a great system, but the problem is that the bride and groom has to wear something in their pocket and trust me ...
In Belgium they are not used to those things ...
We are here lightyears back in time. :D
Therefor I needed something I can also use when doing interviews etc.
Now I already have a Zoom H2 which I can use to place it in front of the speakers in a church.
But for interviews a shotgun mic is also good I guess.
Do you know a shotgun mic that is great in quality and does not need phantom power ?

Edward Carlson November 23rd, 2009 05:22 PM

The Rode NTG-2 uses a battery or phantom power. But, I still think you would be better served by a lav mic. Shotgun mics are really never good for indoors or in non sound treated environments. Especially if you can't get the mic close to your subject. Forget trying to get good audio from the back of a church with a shotgun.

Chris Barcellos November 23rd, 2009 05:44 PM

Ed is right. NTG-2 does have battery power. I have used it on my HV20, and on my Canon 5D. The kit I ordered from BH Photo included an XLR to miniplug adapter to adapt to the 5D. It actually works pretty well on the shoe mount. Here is the kit, which includes the shoe mount.

Here is a link to the kit that includes shoe mount with shock mount:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

Jon Fairhurst November 23rd, 2009 06:01 PM

If it's not possible to use lavs, and you don't have people who can follow people with booms, an on-camera mic or a mic on a stand is your only option.

You might consider a hypercardiod, rather than a shotgun as a hyper generally sounds better indoors where there are reflections. The voices will be in the middle of lots of background sounds in either case, but the background sounds will be more natural with the hyper.

One tradeoff is that you'll get better dialog if you get close to your subject. But if you get too close, they won't look as attractive, due to the big nose/little ears effect.

If you can predict locations, you could put a mic/recorder on a stand. For instance, you could put a mic near the cake before they cut it. If there are mics at the head table, you might be able to record from the mixer. And, of course, having one on the camera is still important so you can roam.