Cheap mic - 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheap mic - 7D

I need a new microphone for my 7D, but can't find a reasonable one..
When I say reasonable, Im thinking about the price. Do not want to use to much money on this one, but I still need a clean sound.
Any suggestions ? Then link me up..
Morten Engelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Rode makes the VideoMic. I tried the mono mic with a GL-2 and it sounded okay to me. Not sure what your budget is. B&H links below:

The mono mic:
Rode | VideoMic - Camera Mounted Shotgun Microphone | VIDEOMIC

And the stereo version:
Rode | Stereo VideoMic - Camera Mounted | STEREO VIDEO MIC | B&H
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Tourist

Azden SMX-10 Directional Stereo Camera Microphone

I got Azden SMX-10 Directional Stereo Camera Microphone for my 7D for $64.95 shipped from B&H. Was looking at Rode but since it's mono and way bigger than Azden I decided to go the cheap route.

I also considered getting either a Tascam DR-07 or Tascam DR-01 for 129 and 139 respectively to get a separate device to capture audio, but decided that it's going to be too much of a hassle to control so many things at once.

Azden works great so far!
Andre Malske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

For just recording interviews or speech in quiet environments, what best suited ?
The Rode mono videomic ?
It seems that the stereo videomic is picking up too much low ambient noise. right ?
Bart Wierzbicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Malske View Post
I got Azden SMX-10 Directional Stereo Camera Microphone for my 7D for $64.95 shipped from B&H. Was looking at Rode but since it's mono and way bigger than Azden I decided to go the cheap route.

I also considered getting either a Tascam DR-07 or Tascam DR-01 for 129 and 139 respectively to get a separate device to capture audio, but decided that it's going to be too much of a hassle to control so many things at once.

Azden works great so far!
Do you still use the Azden SMX-10 and if so how are you liking it?
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you want low cost then it's Rode VM (on camera) or Zoom H2 (off camera).
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have both of those. Looking for something smaller then the Rode VM and that can be used on camera and still allow the viewfinder to be used for photos (the Rode sticks out to far).
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yep, that's true (but it's workable most of the time). I also have the Rode Stereo VM (which is more expensive so does not meet the OP request) but does not overhang at the back on my 7D and gives reasonable sound...actually pretty passable at times!

I would point out that ANY on camera mic is going to be hindered not only by the 7D's very poor AGC but also by picking up all the handling/IS etc. noises as well as most likely being way too far away from the desired sound source anyway. However, I do sometimes use this "casual shortcut" with reasonable success for non-critical run-n-gun/family parties, BBQ's etc. type stuff - i.e. only where no one's paying me! The EX3, Zoom H2 and Fostex FR2-LE with my Rode NTG-3 on a boom stand etc. come out when the client's paying/I have to be sure the sound is good...:-)
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I ordered the Azden SMX-10 and will give it a try this weekend.
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Steiner View Post
I have both of those. Looking for something smaller then the Rode VM and that can be used on camera and still allow the viewfinder to be used for photos (the Rode sticks out to far).
There is an alternate mounting hole that you can use to move the mic forward. No clearance issue. All you need is a screwdriver.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Basic run and go video. Was close to him to make sure that the mic picked up him talking.

YouTube - 1964 Jaguar Semi-Lightweight E-Type

Some of the cars

YouTube - Cars at the Beverely Glen get together.

Overall I am very happy with the Azden SMX-10. It fits perfect on the 7D and allows for pictures to be taken without getting in the way (as the Rode Videomic does).
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

MKE-400 is designed for use on small cameras. Costs about $200.

I personally don't care for the Rode Videomic. It's huge and doesn't sound all that great.
Jesse Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Steiner View Post
Overall I am very happy with the Azden SMX-10. It fits perfect on the 7D and allows for pictures to be taken without getting in the way (as the Rode Videomic does).
Sounds pretty good, Duane. My son has one for his HV30 and is happy with it, I was fairly well impressed when I got to play with it some. I have the Rode SVM but am considering the SMX-10 for use on my 7D and T2i. You can get a furry windmuff for it from thewindcutter.com and you'll need that outdoors in any kind of breeze or wind. The foam muff provided is next to useless (true of all mics) but the fur ones work pretty good.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Some more clips with the SMX-10

YouTube - Lamborghini Gallardo Twin Turbo at Willow Springs

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD