Good wide lens for 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Good wide lens for 7D?

Hi guys,

I've got a 7D and will mainly use it for filming. At the present I have a Sigma 18-50 mm f2.8 and the kit lens Canon 18-135 mm. I also have the cheap Canon 50 mm f1.8 (which is my favorite lens).

So... I realize that I would prefer non-zoom lenses, and will probably buy a Zeiss 50 mm f1.4. But I also need a more zoomed lens - which might be the Samyang MF 85/1,4.

BUT... i also need a good wide angle lens with minimal distortion. What are your recommendations?
Joachim Ljungquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

if you can get an used leica 19mm it is the more rectilinear wide angle lens i´ve ever seen, with a fantastic sharpness and color rendition. The new price is very high but you should be able to find an used one in good shape for a fair price.
Martin Chab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Trustee

Joachim

Tokina 11-16mm contant f2.8. Used it, and its bright and minimal distortion and CA.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Trustee

I love my Sigma 10-20mm. Real sharp.
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Trustee

Paul,

I also have that but its not as fast as the tokina. If my memory serves me right, too lazy to check, its 3.5 -5.6 ?

after the 11-16mm if i need a closer fov, i use the 20-40mm sigma which is also constant 2.8 then a 50mm.

Ted
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Don't overlook the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Basically it's a 16-35mm with the EF-S mount.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The Tokina 11-16mm is the only constant aperture wide angle zoom I know of. It is also the only EF-S lens I cared to buy. For normal and telephoto applications, fast primes are the way to go for video if you want the maximum in low light/bokeh.
Jay Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I was looking for a good zoom to compliment my set of primes. I was comparing the Tokina 16-50 2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 2.8. After a lot of research and reading reviews online I went with the Tamron. It is reported to have less CA than the Tokina and a bit sharper. I never did a side by side but I shot some tests today and I'm really happy with the results. Sharp clean images. If you can live with an EF-S lens its a great deal.
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Don't overlook the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Basically it's a 16-35mm with the EF-S mount.
Chris sorry, if this is stupid question. I get confused with all the different lens/lens mounts/crop factors/sensor sizes and their 35mm equivalents.

Did you mean to say,
Don't overlook the Canon EF-S "16-35mm" f/3.5-4.5 USM. Basically it's a "10-22mm" EF...?
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Don't look anything different than the Tokina 11-16 (if you need that fof).
It has also been converted to cinema lens with PL mount for a reason.

BTW I like my samyang 85f1.4 a lot (for video. for stills probably you'll see it isn't the Zeiss nor the Nikkor)
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:04 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Calla View Post
Chris sorry, if this is stupid question. I get confused with all the different lens/lens mounts/crop factors/sensor sizes and their 35mm equivalents.

Did you mean to say,
Don't overlook the Canon EF-S "16-35mm" f/3.5-4.5 USM. Basically it's a "10-22mm" EF...?
He meant that with the 1.6x crop factor the 10-22 becomes essentially 16-35. just as a 50mm due to crop factor in the 7D's sensor essentially looks like an 80mm fov.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:08 AM   #12
Tourist

Tokina 11-16mm built like a tank, really sharp, ordered mine from japan, came really fast from ogt-clan.com
Bruce Buttery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot, guys! There are quite some interesting lenses there! Especially the Tokina... Is this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_116.html

BUT, I'm a bit surprised that most of you are recommending zoom wide angle lenses. I was under the assumption that fixed lenses would be preferred for filming... Am I wrong?
Joachim Ljungquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Joachim,

I was probably the first person to buy and recommend the Tokina 11-16mm for 7D use and I stand by that. The Canon 10-22 is very nice but as others here have pointed out it is not f2.8. Also the Tokina has a much better manual focus ring than the Canon which makes life a lot easier if you want to run and gun.

At the wide end there are really few fixed focal length lenses that are not fisheyes, the only corrected choices are really 14mm f2.8's from Canon, Nikon, Sigma and soon I believe Samyang.

Fixed lenses usually perform better optically than their zoom counterparts but recent advances in wide angle lens design have seen lenses like the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 and this Tokina being able to hold their own against all but the very best fixed lenses.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Chung; December 2nd, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Okay... Seems like it would be a zoom wide angle lens then.
I was talking to my camera supplier today - and they checked with the importing agency for Tokina in Sweden. Looks like Tokina are having trouble delivering...

At the moment they are talking about delivering at spring time. Even at B&S:s website there are no Tokina 11-16 mm in stock.

Bummer!
Joachim Ljungquist is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD