DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Crossng over (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/468818-crossng-over.html)

Jeff Dullum December 2nd, 2009 08:53 PM

Crossng over

I've been reading and want to ask once in the open just to clarify before buying I could really use some advice. I am jumping into the canon 7D and could really use some help on recommending a couple lenses. I am getting the 7D body only and need a walk around lens that can be used primarily for video but also for pics very limited. It will see both night and day work, handheld and tripod, auto and manual, a general work horse. Looking at the $500-$700 range. But would also welcome your thoughts on a more expensive lens. Something like the sigma, or canon 17-55 2.8 is or tamron sp af17-50 f/2.8 xr di-ll vc ld aspherical (if) .

Also going to pick up a series of Nikon primes. I’ll need to stay cheaper on these. Looking at a 24 2.8 , 50 1.2 , 85 1.4 , and something longer also. What do you advise stick with the AI and AIS?

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice you . Want to go wide as possible for 16:9 when needed. Thoughts on IS, AF, macro, constant aperature, etc, anything I need to look out for appreciated. I’m researching and scrambling to get the knowledge but have to get a project done here soon also. Being creative is not the problem and I know there will be a constant learning curve with the gear which is ok. Just need some sound experience on the purchases so my foundation is solid as money is always an issue.

Thanks

Jeff

Bruce Foreman December 3rd, 2009 01:12 PM

Jeff,

Quoted from your question:

"Also going to pick up a series of Nikon primes. I’ll need to stay cheaper on these. Looking at a 24 2.8 , 50 1.2 , 85 1.4 , and something longer also. What do you advise stick with the AI and AIS?"

I've seen one warning about using the Nikkor 24mm F2.8, saying it protrudes too far into the lens mount cavity and could be hit by the mirror.

I purchased a Canon EF 24mm F2.8 for $349 and love it. I see it currently advertised as low as $289 in some places. That is what I would go with in that focal length and you have a fully functional with the 7D lens.

As far as the AI and AIS Nikkors, they are more recent manufacture than the non AI models and to me look like the coatings are better, so they should have a bit better contrast.

Before the 7D came out I found a near mint 50mm F1.8 Nikkor AIS for my T1i and the function and quality was excellent. The cheap KAWA adapter works (once I sent 2 defective ones back and got a third) but it does back focus past infinity so I have to watch that when I use that lens.

For the 7D I had a Canon EF 50mm F1.8 left over from my early film EOS days and current version at about $100-109 is a pretty good buy.

Bill Pryor December 3rd, 2009 01:41 PM

For a single wide range lens. lots of people are getting that Tamron 17-50. It gets very high marks and is significantly cheaper than the $999 price of the Canon 17-55. Tokina makes a 16-50 but there are lots of reviews comparing it to the Tamron, and the Tamron is significantly shaper in most areas.

For the price, that f1.8 50mm is a must. It feels like a toy but it is sharp and very useful. On the APS-C size camera, it's a nice portrait lens too.

I got the 28-135 kit lens with my 7D, but I'm not using it very much at all. It's a nicer lens than I expected, seems well made and is sharp, but it's too slow and not wide enough for lots of what I do. I'm looking at a Sigma f1.8 20mm and a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L lens. Those two could do most of what I need for video work.

Roger Shealy January 3rd, 2010 08:46 PM

Jeff,

My $0.02 is start with the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC ($650) and a HD monitor (Small HD combo @ $1,000). Next the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ($600). If you feel rich, pick up the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS as a third lens ($1,850). I picked up several SMC Takumar primes of eBay, but I find primes just too confining for anything but totally contrived situations. The Tamron will handle most of the situations you need for video, but the Tokina does come in handy for tight situations. The Canon 50mm f1.8 is incredibly good for portraits and simple video and can be had for under $100.

Bill Pryor January 4th, 2010 09:41 AM

A note on that Nikkor 24mm protruding too far into the camera. Yes. I have one, put on an adaptor and looked at it and said no way. That's weird. I've had all these Nikkor lenses for years and never noticed that protrusion before. Glad I read the above caution otherwise I might have damaged my 7D mirror.

Another note, about adapters. I bought a $40 adapter from Adorama...didn't work. Couldn't get it on my 35mm Nikkor at all. Sent it back, got a couple of $11 cheapos from eBay. They're bronze, stainless steel coated, much heavier than the much more expensive flimsy aluminum ones. These work fine, so now for a total of about 22 bucks I have a 35mm f2 and a 200mm lens to use on my 7D.