7D & Glidecam HD2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

7D & Glidecam HD2000

Hi,

I just received the Glidecam and I'm a little bit frustrated (a lot!!). I tried and I tried but I can't balance it. I red the manual (BTW, the pictures are not updated), I watched tons of videos and red lots of threads but still... no balance (is maybe this equipment to technical for a dumb like me? I hope is not.) I guess is all about testing but do you guys have any tip or advice that it can be useful? Plus, anyone with this combo out there?

Thanks in advance!
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Not sure. I balanced mine pretty well the other day while messing around on my Glidecam 4000. I'm sure it can't be a weight issue where you'd need the 4000. What kind of balance issue are you having? Is it tilting in any particular direction or what? Sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to the way the thing interacts while you are walking and adjusting your stride accordingly.

Lastly, a strong suggestion would be to get a quick release plate that can reattach in the same position pretty consistantly. That way you don't have to unscrew the mounting plate on the Glidecam each time you need to take the camera off, which causes you to have to readjust the balance completely.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Craig.
Yes, is really annoying to unscrew the plate every time. Which kind of plate do you particularly use? You would need a tripod head too, wouldn't you?
I have a couple of Manfrotto's tripods and heads.
I got just a little bit of diagonal tilting in the front - right side. Is not too much but enough to unbalance the kit. I've tried all different weights and holes on the plate!
Anyway, I just keep on trying.
Thanks for the advices
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Major Player

I have Bogen heads that use the 501 plate, so I just use the Bogen 577 quick release plate. However, it's not the best option with the 7D. The screw to lock the plate in place is obstructed by the 7D and it's not an ideal setup. The Manfrotto/Bogen 394 Low Profile looks like it would work.

Oh, and absolutely not on putting the whole head on the glidecam. That would only cause more balancing issues and is completely unnecessary anyway. Panning or tilting would throw the thing off balance.

On the 4000, the upper plate section has screws on the bottom side which allow for the whole mount that the plate mounts on to shift left or right. Have you tried that?
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi all,

No problemo here. Focusing on the 7D, I recently coverted to the Bogen 394 quick release on all my stabilization gear.

On my 4000 Pro, on each side of the bottom plate, I'm using two big washers and one small. And with a small lens like the Tamon 17-50 and nothing else on the camera (removing quick-release belt), everything balanced perfectly.

I can't say that I miss trying to fly my huge Canon XL-2 with over 20 big weights and a 3X lens - a tough way to make a living if it's more than a few minutes, although great exercise for wrist wrestling. Call me spoiled in my old age.

At any rate, I've found with the 7D easy enough to balance with the Glidecam using the 2.5 second drop rule. The two key items for me was at least 4 total big washer (two each side) and push in the base plate almost all the way.

Enjoy, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Tourist

7D with Glidecam 4000 pro balancing

So Im just another guy with a balancing issue. My glidecam wont balance and I just did 2 hours of practice with it.

When others speak of attaching a quick release plate to the glidecam for quick camera removal, in which hole do you attach it to? I'm using the 7d with the 17-50 tamron.
I'm usnig 2 washers on each side. My camera slightly tilts backwards and to the corner. please give me some pointers so that i can finally take some of the shots others are doing which I envy so much.

Thanks
Mroczkowski Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:03 AM   #7
New Boot

I'm glad I listened to the camera guy I bought my Glidecam 4000HD from. He said:
* to buy the 4000HD instead of the 2000HD, as when I would add extra gear on top of the camera I would start to reach the limit of the 2000HD, and start having problems balancing.
* to go for the 4000HD instead of the 4000Pro, as balancing the Pro was much more difficult than the HD version. And I agree, since I don't have any problems with balancing - the base plate can be shifted left and right with the screws, and that makes a hell of a difference.

One sidenote on the 4000HD: get the Arm Brace. I have ordered it, and it'll be here next week. The 4000HD is quite heavy (really!) and puts a strain on your shoulder. The Arm Brace will (hopefully) solve that by distributing the pressure onto your forearm. Seems to be much better according to the camera guy. And to say I didn't believe him when he told me while buying the 4000HD :)

Now saving up to get the X10 system :) Nah, that would be a step too far (and 2000 Euro too far).
Frank Bongers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroczkowski Lucas View Post
So Im just another guy with a balancing issue. My glidecam wont balance and I just did 2 hours of practice with it.

When others speak of attaching a quick release plate to the glidecam for quick camera removal, in which hole do you attach it to? I'm using the 7d with the 17-50 tamron.
I'm usnig 2 washers on each side. My camera slightly tilts backwards and to the corner. please give me some pointers so that i can finally take some of the shots others are doing which I envy so much.

Thanks
Hi Mroczkowski,

In response to your post requesting help to balance your Canon 7D, I'm posting my response on the in the Stabilization group so others can find my detailed response (and perhaps comment with their thoughts).

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabiliz...ml#post1467364

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

To the guys who are having problems the only advice I would give is just to persevere. I have a Steadicam Merlin which I originally used with a Canon XH-A1 & when I first got the gear I was almost in tears with my inability to balance the camera or to fly it smoothly even when I did manage to get it to balance. I discovered that it's a lot like learning to ride a bicycle in that at first it seems impossible & then suddenly it 'clicks' & you get the knack & wonder what the hell you were doing wrong previously & starts to feel perfectly natural. So you get the feel for trimming the balance so that you don't have to consciously think "if it's tipping too much that way then I need to move that screw anti-clockwise about that much to fix it" You just do it so like turning a corner on a bicycle it becomes second nature.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Coston View Post
I have Bogen heads that use the 501 plate, so I just use the Bogen 577 quick release plate. However, it's not the best option with the 7D. The screw to lock the plate in place is obstructed by the 7D and it's not an ideal setup. The Manfrotto/Bogen 394 Low Profile looks like it would work.
This is a little late but, if you pull outwards on the "cap" that houses the nut that tightens the quick release you can change the angle that it tightens at so it is no longer in the way (breath).
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #11
New Boot

Re: 7D & Glidecam HD2000

I'm a 120lb woman and I have to use the x-10 system because I feel like I would topple over without it. I am wedding videographer in Fresno and it is warm wearing the vest, but the images are outstanding. Until I have about a month's practice I won't take it on jobs.

But, the balancing trick came for us when we scooched the top place (4000 pro, not HD version) all the way to the left, put a 577 plate on the middle extreme right so the tightening screw was just off the plate. Then I used 3 1/2 washers up front, 4 1/2 in the back, I pushed those all the way to the left as well. I added a monitor up front and it's battery pack centered along the base, attached with velcro. With this set up I can interchange my XHA1 and my 7d pretty easily.

First, remove the monitor system, velcroed on, then slightly loosen the nut on the top of the washers and move them a little closer to center. The top plate moved to the left (as you look at the back of the camera) was very important, because it's weight counters quick release plate being on the extreme right. I have about a 2 second drop on both.

The post is 6" out with the xha1 and only 1" out for the 7d. (with 17-35 l lens)

In any case, just wanted to chime in, that balance can be found with one 4000pro and 2 different cameras.

Last edited by Dawn Minenna; August 27th, 2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: left something out - "first, to change from Xha1 to 7d , Remove the monitor...
Dawn Minenna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD