Less Expensive Shoulder Mount Alternative - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Just because some supports are ridiculously expensing doesn't mean they are better engineered or the only ones who can mount gobs of stuff on them if you want.
I wasn't arguing the expense aspect at all. I was typing my post at the same time as the post above mine, so it looks like it references Christians post when in fact it was a reference to Bruce.

My concern with these rigs is that they seem rather like dead ends. Awesome of you don't plan on building out the camera rig, but kind of a pain once you start to move forward with some common accessories. That to me, is where the rails systems just make so much more sense.

And you are going to have a VERY hard time convincing me that a basic rail setup (especially with the carbon fiber rails) weighs more than something like a DVMultiRig. I've tried both.
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #32
Trustee

Hi Perrone, I'm not sure I understand your concern, which could just be me...

Anyway, if you look at this picture: www.frameyourart.net
you'll see that I show the shoulder mount with the waist stabilizer [not attached] and the "Shape" box attached where you can place things like a wireless receivers, mixer etc..

The middle shows just the 7D with the CAVISION quick release and the swing away viewfinder. I could just as easily of had the rails and matte box attached.

then the lower picture is of all three elements together.

All of this could just as easily been attached to the rig in Bruce's picture or the DVMultiRigPro. I think the important point and maybe where this thread is headed is that all of of the components need to be modular. Face it, I'm probably going to want to trade up from the 7D in a year so I need to make sure that all the lenses and components work with the next XD.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Hi Perrone, I'm not sure I understand your concern, which could just be me...

Anyway, if you look at this picture: www.frameyourart.net
you'll see that I show the shoulder mount with the waist stabilizer [not attached] and the "Shape" box attached where you can place things like a wireless receivers, mixer etc..

The middle shows just the 7D with the CAVISION quick release and the swing away viewfinder. I could just as easily of had the rails and matte box attached.

then the lower picture is of all three elements together.

All of this could just as easily been attached to the rig in Bruce's picture or the DVMultiRigPro. I think the important point and maybe where this thread is headed is that all of of the components need to be modular. Face it, I'm probably going to want to trade up from the 7D in a year so I need to make sure that all the lenses and components work with the next XD.
I had seen this with the Shape which is why it was a contender. However, I had not seen it with any of the other units, and frankly the common rails systems from RRM and Zacuto looked like a more elegant solution. I didn't care for how far forward some of these units placed the camera. I'm using an EX1 and while the body brace is a fine idea, I'd rather have the camera further back and counterbalanced than have a stick at my waist. Personal preference after having used both setups.

The Shape Box would make a dandy place to put my wireless reciever/nanoflash though so that's a nice touch. I'll be putting them on a tray behind the shoulder though as counterbalance. It does make the cable routing longer.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #34
Trustee

Actually, funny you should mention that, the Shape box does mount to the back pad, it also comes with a counter weight that really shifts the center of gravity to the rear. Without the matte box the camera is well balanced on my shoulder.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Here's a shot of the SpiderBrace 2 Combo with 7D and CAVISION viewfinder with swingaway. 7D has an EF 24mm F2.8 prime mounted.

Note the Manfrotto quick release plate on the bottom of the CAVISION mount, allows swapping to tripod with Manfrotto 501 head in seconds. This rig is quite lightweight and works for me.

Hope this picture helps.
SAN ANGELO!!!!! YES!!! thats where im from

but im at baylor now, good to see theres another 7d shooter in angelo
A.J. Aguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Redrock Micro theEvent DSLR Hybrid Support

hi guys, i just received my Redrock Micro theEvent DSLR Hybrid Support a few hours ago.

Website here : Redrock DSLR 2.0 Hybrid Support Accessories

It's well built and allows me to expand my kit through the rails system.

I changed the layout a little to suit my preference.

Here's some pics for your reference :)

- What's left of the box. lol.

- adapter mounts for the camera

- adjustable length and angle for the shoulder brace & the handlebar

- top view of the kit

- handlebar, nicely fitted with a rubberised grip

- top view of kit. again.

- closeup of the screws and rods

- the microbrace body pad, this was the deal breaker for me, i've been looking for something like that!

- top view of kit. again and again.

- closeup of rods and screws. again.

Overall, i think for $640, it can be a little high for what's in the kit (i'm no expert on building rod systems, i'm just doing some customer observation :P ), but i'm really happy with the quality. Happy enough to recommend this to other shooters in my area.

;D
Alvin Ang Teng Cheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Here's a shot of the SpiderBrace 2 Combo with 7D and CAVISION viewfinder with swingaway. 7D has an EF 24mm F2.8 prime mounted.

Note the Manfrotto quick release plate on the bottom of the CAVISION mount, allows swapping to tripod with Manfrotto 501 head in seconds. This rig is quite lightweight and works for me.

Hope this picture helps.
Terrific. Thanks
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #38
Trustee

I already have a dv multirig pro. and I think I'll try it with before spending money on anything else. I also have one of those Indian "Cine city" follow focuses, which isn't too bad ( been using it with my Letrus Extreme). So what I need next is

1- A set of rails, long enough for the 70-200,
2- lens gear rings ( I'll probably go with redrock since I'm happy with the ones I bought for my Letus Extreme). and
3- A viewfinder. I bought and returned the idc. I like the 6x on the caivision, but with no diopter, I'm scared to buy it ( wear glasses..61 uear old eyes). I guess the only option is the Zacuto.

So what I really need is to settle on a set of rails.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #39
Trustee

I'm using the CAVISION viewfinder and the 6x works well. What I like best about it is the swing away arm, because what I'm finding is that I don't really like using these types of viewfinders. I use it to check focus and then swing it out of the way to view the shot on the LCD which works well.

For the cost of the Z-finder your more than half way there for the purchase of a good 7 or 8" HD LCD display with a Hoodman.

I think I'd buy an HD-LCD before I purchase the Z-finder.

I forgot to mention I also have the CAVISION rail system with the quick release, this is great. I have not owned any other rail system so I don't have anything else to compare it to but I really like the quick release setup on this system. At first I thought the sales guy was doing his job and selling me up on this whole quick release thing, but he was right about the flexibility it gives you to quickly reconfigure how your using your camera. I'm just that lazy that if I didn't have this, there are certainly shots that I might not even attempt because it would takes too long to remove the camera from the shoulder mount and move to to something else.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #40
New Boot

Chuck, I'm not sure you can equate the money you would spend on the Zacuto Z-Finder as being half way towards a decent HD LCD monitor.

First off one doesn't replace the other, they would be two completely different set ups, you can't replace a Z-Finder with a LCD and expect the same results in terms of style, ease of use and invisibility.

Second, break down the cost of setting up a decent HD LCD, which model, the resolution has to be high if you are using the DSLR's for the short DOF. Plus the mounting arm, rails, battery, sun hood, cables etc

Your post is misleading for anyone who would want to replace one with the other for the same results. Zacuto gear is expensive but the Z-Finder is an exceptional product (their best I believe), I've tried them all, it has been designed by folks who are shooters.
Nigel Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #41
Trustee

I don't think I was misleading. Yes one can replace the other and that's what I said.

It doesn't matter whether its the Z-finder or CAVISION I don't like this style of shooting with the 7D, partly because I'm not sure of the resolution of the 7D's LCD, so magnifying it might be the way to go either, I don't know. Plus with the focus assist I'm not sure its necessary. That's why I made the point that I swing the Viewfinder out of the way much of the time.

I believe you can replace one for the other and get the same results if the result your looking for is good framing and critical focus. I didn't say the Z-finder was a bad choice, I merely pointed out that if you chose to use a monitor rather than a viewfinder the money you spend on an expensive viewfinder could be put towards a good monitor.

As far as viewfinders go the CAVISION is a very good viewfinder for much less but it lacks a diopter, the Z-Finder is a very good viewfinder but it doesn't swing out of the way. I'm not advocating for either, they are just different.

I guess my point was that if I had it to do over I might have gone the monitor route first, as it is I'll simply have both.
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #42
New Boot

You are right, in a controlled / studio environment I'm sure you could do this. I'd still be interested in the cost breakdown of decent HD LCD set up to match the focusing capabilities of the 7D LCD + Z-finder.

I am 100% sure of the resolution of the 7D LCD for focusing.

I should have said for the kind of work I do, mostly documentary style in the field, I could not easily replace the simple viewfinder with a HD LCD and get the same results.

Last edited by Nigel Walker; December 11th, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Nigel Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #43
Trustee

This is kind of the point of this thread (I think) to hear what others are using and how they're using it. Its certainly not to talk someone into a particular piece of equipment just because I might like or use it.

In fact I'm kind of intrigued with the DvRigPro. I think of the Zacuto and Red Rock appealing more to photographers who are accustomed to holding the camera straight out in front of them for stills and supports like mine, from Shape, appealing more to the videographer who might want a strong shoulder support to hang sundry accessories on.

However, the 7d isn't just a stills camera anymore and isn't exactly a video camera either so I see the DvRigPro as more a crossover.

I was out shooting at the airport for about five hours yesterday, boy was a pining for a larger LCD screen. For some reason I felt constrained by the viewfinder, which is why I kept swinging it out of the way. It might be different if the LCD on the camera articulated, but since it doesn't I think that's what I'm struggling with. Not that its that big of a problem. But I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #44
Regular Crew

This thread is driving me crazy. I keep coming back while I am trying to decide.

Do I go cheap with the Spider II knowing I will later want to add on and replace it?

Or do I invest more now for the future?

I am leaning toward the spider but I wonder if it will be able to hold rails, quick release and other accessories as I grow.

Heck my 7D does not even get here to tomorrow yet I am so pumped about learning this new medium of visual expression. I have done stills professionally for 20 years. Very excited.
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Spartak View Post
I'm looking to buy this one but what is a difference between your model and this one:
Cavision Standard Shoulder Pad Package for DSLR Cameras / 5D MII

This one is more expensive, but your model seems the same except viewfinder. Did you add some plate on this support, like one on my link, or just put the camera on it?

I'm asking because I will add follow focus and hope lens will not be too low. Model from my link has same plate so camera stay higher for follow focus.
Mine doesn't have the Cavision viewfinder mounted on a riser plate like this one Mark. Although I now use a Z-Finder, the loup in this shot is the Hoodman which is attached to the camera by being glued to a cheap sunshade from Hong Kong. The sunshade clips onto the eyepiece on the camera and is easy to put on and take off taking about a second or so. There are various posts on the 5dMkII forum about how to fit it together. I find the beauty of this approach is that it's fixed to the camera, NOT the support, so you can use it hand held easily enough as well as simply mounted on tripod or shoulder support of pretty much any make.

And that's why it's cheaper.
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD