Can the 7D's batt. charger be used w/adptr in NZ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Can the 7D's batt. charger be used w/adptr in NZ?

Moving to NZ. I was okay with charging up my HV20 batteries with a simple plug adapter when I was there, but can I do the same with the 7D's charger? If not, how do I get a Canon battery charger for the NZ market?
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I think it will, based on the specs I found on an eBay page for the charger(!)....but you should check the charger you have to make sure. It should have the voltage range molded into the back. If it says 100V to 240V then it will work (you'll just need a plug adapter.) NZ is 240v 50Hz. They also use PAL.

Where in NZ are you moving to?
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Tauranga. And that means there's going to be a lot of gear in Private Classifieds soon.

Still don't know whether to take my (NTSC) Canon HG20, or to sell it and buy a PAL Canon AVCHD camcorder; I figure it's one of those things I can wait on, because the 7D can be used for video (though it's still a ways off.) The biggest problem for me is that the Canon NTSC models have 24p, and the Canon PAL models only have 25p...
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Oh cool. I grew up mainly in Wellington, but we lived in Te Puke (near Tauranga) for a couple of years.

Electronic gear is expensive in New Zealand (or used to be) so you might want to check prices. I guess it depends what you do with your video. If you're mainly playing it back on computer, getting a PAL camcorder isn't so important. I guess the real question is how much of a hit you take on selling the HG20, and how much you need PAL.

Rather than getting a PAL camcorder, you could get a regular HF10 and shoot in 24p mode. Admittedly, you'd have to run everything through the computer to get something to play on a TV, so if you want to play out to a TV from the camcorder that's a consideration too.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Major Player

My concern is this:

I'm working on a feature length documentary (and have been for the past two years!) where everything was shot on HV20's 24p mode. I switched to the HG20 to go tapeless but the material is pretty much identical. My HG20 has 24p, 30p, and 60i. If I want to shoot new material, I would like it to match the 24p I've already shot. On the other hand, for everything OTHER than that movie, I'm likely to be mixing it with clips that are in 25p or 50i.

Ideally, I'd like a camera that can shoot 24p and 25p, but so far as I know, there's no camera on the market that does so except the 7D, which I already own, but isn't exactly a "run and gun" camera for video.

Arguments for keeping the HG20: I'm not going to get a whole lot for it anyway, it's a good camera, and it has 24p already.

Arguments against keeping the HG20: Anything I can do to get more space matters, as I will either have to carry-on, check, or ship anything I own.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD