7d - 12 min limit - long ceremonies/dances..how? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 8th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7d - 12 min limit - long ceremonies/dances..how?

How are most folks dealing with the 12 minute clip limitation on the 7d? I cant help but wonder what I would do during an extended recording session where I don't want the camera to stop.

How are you handling ceremonies or dances or anything > 12 min where under normal circumstances you'd let it run?

thx
Albert
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Run double system sound and shoot a cutaway.
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Starway Pictures

A simple and super-quick PAUSE/START should help. You only lose a second (sometimes even less). And like Liam said, "shoot a cutaway".
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

That's pretty much the film method or stagger the starts if running more than one camera, so that you'll always have one camera recording.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Major Player

only one way.... more than one camera.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Contributor

Yep. It's not an event camera. Any time I've had to shoot some long thing like a talk even with standard video cameras, I always get a second camera and set up on an audience cutaway.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Even if you shoot cutaways and run second system sound, the 7D can suddenly give you an overheating warning... like it did to mine when shooting a bar band the other day. You really need more than one 7D. A handful of them would be good. The more, the better.
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes, most pro still photographers use 2 or 3 bodies - so they do not lose time changing lenses! If I shot weddings, which I do not, I would use a min. of two cameras. I use the 7D as a second camera myself and have the profile set to cut with my Ex-3 stuff.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Jon, without wishing to take this thread into a new direction would you be willing to share some details of the profile you use with the 7D for the EX3? (as those are my main cams too).

If so, maybe if you start a new thread that would be best. Thanks in advance and I promise not to hijack this thread further!
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Good points regarding the cutaways and double audio, however, the need for more than one body and the overheating are two significant factors that cannot be ignored.

I picked up a GH1 to avoid both of the aforementioned issues. We'll see how it works out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD