Time lapse? How to do at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Time lapse? How to do

Hello,

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO MAKE A SEQUENCE OF PICTURES TRANSFORMED IN TO A MOVIE? I HAVE A CANON TIMER AND DID A SEQUENCE< BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO EXPORT TO FCP.I KNOW NOTHNG ABOUT IT...

I JUST NOTICED THAT IT'S EASIER WITH JPEG, BUT NO IDEA HOW TO TRANSFORM IT IN A TIME LAPSE MOVIE.

ANY SUGGESTION?

THANKS A LOT
Mauricio Copetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Stop shouting...

Then, open QuickTime and go; file/import/image sequence, then save as a self-contained movie. Then import in to FCP and voila!
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot!

I will do it now.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Tagging this for myself for later!!
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Stop shouting...

Then, open QuickTime and go; file/import/image sequence, then save as a self-contained movie. Then import in to FCP and voila!
He wanted to make sure you could hear him in the UK...
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey,

Quicktime doesn't open the folder containing the sequence with the .jpg numbered files. Also I named pictures as dpp1.jpg. dpp2.jpg and on... any thing wrong with that? I originally converted raw pictures into jpg using the batch program that comes with EOS 7D.

Forgive my amateurism, I'm really new with 7D movies and time lapse with pictures.

thanks
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Mauricio
You have to open the folder containing the sequence and highlight the first jpg and then it will ask you how many frames a second etc.
I personally use After Effects so I can scale the sequence pan and scan etc. Check out my vimeo page for a sample.
Which is also accessible through the DVinfonet thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-you...motion-ny.html
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Daniel, you can also pan/scan in FCP, yes AE gives you more control, but it sure is easy to do from within FCP (nice job on those NY scenes BTW).

I've shown this before, all the moves were done in FCP.

Old December 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #9
Trustee

Hey Liam,
Thanks for the compliment. I like your timelapse also. The moves look smooth. Of course I already had a license for AE before I even had Final Cut so I didn't want to have to relearn my process. Also I find the timeline in AE is easier for me to read than Final Cut (IE I don't need my reading glasses to see what the keyframes are doing) and AE can easily output the same clip in different sizes and Codecs if someone is using a different edit system than I am.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #10
Major Player

Any advice on a (cheap) remote/timer?
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Great jobs,

I'm still learning at the begin: my quicktime X doesn't open the folder with the sequence .jpg (converted from raw from EOS application). The files appear non active as well as the OPEN button of QT.

What sort of mistake am I doing?
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Trustee

You might (probably) need Quicktime pro. When I use my computer without Pro version Open image sequence is greyed out meaning I can't use this computer for that process. Open file will not open as an image sequence. You get Quicktime Pro with Final cut but it is a separate charge if you want a license. Under the Quicktime Menu there is a way to buy Pro if you are online. Good luck
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Daniel,

I'm actually using QT X... installed with the new snow leopard... There is no button for up grade/license for PRo one and at apple.com there is no QT X pro download, only for QT7 pro...

Thanks
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Major Player

Hey Mauricio

check out Philip Bloom's tutorial.

I tried it because I didn't know how to do it and it works fine. As for settings, I had to suck it and see. Intervals at 7 seconds and 3 seconds and so on. I have also tried different frame rates when Quicktime asks, and I find the 30fps quite smooth.

Cheap Intervalometer? Try this one, works a treat.

TC-80N3 timer remote for canon 50D 40D 30D 20D 1D etc - eBay (item 370215596773 end time Nov-09-09 14:39:43 PST)

Best

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I can't believe... I followed Bloom's instruction and... QT X doesn't highlight the .jpg (non of them) file and still keeps the OPEN button inactive...

isn't that strange?

The way I found was importing to FCP and at User Preferences fixing still/freeze for 00:00:00:01. But I still have to wait for a long rendering, depending on the sequence.
Mauricio Copetti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD