DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Lens IS Before and After Videos? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/469441-lens-before-after-videos.html)

Jimmie Myers December 14th, 2009 03:58 PM

Lens IS Before and After Videos?

In considering lens purchases for the 7D, I've come across quite a few claims that IS in a lens greatly helps with image stabilization. I have, however, never seen a visual before/after test on something like a Glidecam or Merlin indicating this.

Can anyone point me toward a clip of this nature?

Andrew Waite December 14th, 2009 05:12 PM

To be honest... IS isn't going to do you much good on either a steadicam or a tripod. It's going to do you the most good when you are shooting handheld. I always turn it off when I'm flying the camera on my steadicam... that way it's not always trying to fight against the motion of the steadicam. I did run across a good before and after video that demonstrates handheld IS on and off.

A.J. Aguirre December 14th, 2009 06:03 PM

thankyou so much for posting that video, i believe that should answer many peoples questions

Jimmie Myers December 14th, 2009 10:46 PM

Obviously not an ideal test, but another example of the IS in action. Thus far I'm not convinced of its necessity for what I want to do. I did just borrow my brother's 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. It has IS, and I'll be experimenting heavily with it once my Glidecam arrives.

Thanks for the link and insight Andrew. I'm obviously not worried about IS on a tripod or dolly. Just for camera movement with less than perfect equipment (hand held stabilizer vs. full blown Steadicam rig). I'd prefer to avoid hand held footage unless it's demanded. How would you describe its reaction to flying; what you called "fighting"?

Andrew Waite December 16th, 2009 08:08 PM

What I mean is that with IS turned on while using ANY sort of stabilizer (anything from a ghetto rigged DIY to a $80,000 Steadicam Ultra II) the lens will NOT know the difference between intended and non intended movement. In other words, it will try and compensate for any and all motion whether you want it or not. So it will look almost MORE jerky than with IS on than with it off. A well balanced stabilizer will do all the work for you and MUCH better than ANY IS system in a lens could do. You ad an isoelastic arm and vest to your rig and it just gets better. You can even add antlers or even gyros to your rig and it will continue to get even better.... and on and on.

Jimmie Myers December 19th, 2009 06:56 AM

Thanks Andrew. I decided on a non-IS 16-35mm L, as 90% of my footage is going to be under a controlled, tripod/dolly/stabilized environment. Saved me about $300 and I'm already loving the results I'm getting with it.

Scott Shama December 21st, 2009 03:30 AM

I went thru this same dilemma.. to IS or not to IS.. I bought IS lenses (for my zooms) and did an ab comparison.. it's night and day, I can't imagine shooting without IS especially handheld.. one thing, with the 7d and probably 5d you can easily get away with the f4 70-200mm canon. Seems to be decent enough for most shoots that I would encounter (dark churches).