7D and snowboard! Select a lens, please :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

7D and snowboard! Select a lens, please :)

Hi! I need some help from you guys..
I bought the 7D to film snowboarding,- most followcam and stand beside bigjumps.
What can you recommend me? A wide angel-which one? Or maby a Sigma 30mm 1.4 ??

The price : 600$ or less. +- I want the lens to be as cheap as possible, but I stil need quality :)
Just write down whatever you think is best! :)
Morten Engelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Morten.

Most fast wides will be more costly. Sigma did a f2.8 14mm which is quite good but a bit soft wide-open which with bright snow you are unlikely to use. As this lens is no longer made, they may now be cheaper on eBay.

As an action lens, any 14mm f2.8 can be easily damaged. The front element is almost hemispherical and protrudes out. This lens is rectilinear.

If you are doing pursuit on skis, the Peleng 8mm f3.5 fisheye might be affordable. It should cover the DSLR frame, maybe with slightly cropped corners but will vignette on a full sized 35mm stills frame. The iris on this lens is a bit confusing. There are two iris control ring. One limits the iris open position, the other actuates the iris.

You may need to shim the adaptor mount to get correct backfocus (collimation).

This lens is a fisheye so there is a distinct barrel distortion. The front element also protrudes and is easily damaged. When being shipped, the caps should be gaffer taped to the barrel because they are metal and if they come off, may rub against the front element and scratch it.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 16th, 2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for a answer :)
I actually have the Peleng 8mm f3.5 fisheye. But it's way to extreme of an fisheye! And the quality is not good. It's a cool toy, but since I bought the 7D, I want something in better quality :) I've heard the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 is good too ?
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I using the Tokina 11-17 f2.8 for shooting various action sports. In the past I used the Century fisheye(death lens)on various video cameras. It is really nice, with the Tokina to have something fairly wide without so much distortion. This lens was also endorsed from one of the most popular surf housing manufactures as well.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Charles Dasher:
The Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 looks Great!!
But I can't find it on ebay or any other.. just the TOKINA 12-24 F/4 . But it's mostly the same ?
I think this is the one for me...!
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

edit:sorry
TOKINA 12-24 F/4 is cheaper, but f/4 is not that good.. I will buy the 11-16mm! Thank you:)
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
If you are doing pursuit on skis, the Peleng 8mm f3.5 fisheye might be affordable. It should cover the DSLR frame, maybe with slightly cropped corners but will vignette on a full sized 35mm stills frame.
The Peleng doesn't quite cover the 7D frame. It's close, but there's some corner vignetting.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Engelien View Post
edit:sorry
TOKINA 12-24 F/4 is cheaper, but f/4 is not that good.. I will buy the 11-16mm! Thank you:)
The Canon 10-22mm lens is nice as well. i wouldn't worry about the lens not being f2.8 because you will be shooting in such a bright environment.

You will need a Fader ND filter and I would worry about vignetting with any ND filters that you use. I would do some test first.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Why do I need a Fader ND filter ? :)
I went to my local photostore and tried the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Looks Great! I'm sure it will do good on night sessions too.. because of the 2.8 :) Can't wait!
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Because you will want to keep from shooting with the lens stopped all the way down. I would think that you wouldn't want to shoot stopped down more than f5.6 or so.

It is really needed to shoot any outdoor footage with either the 7D or the 5D.

Remember your don't want to have your shutter faster than 125th of a second.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green View Post
The Peleng doesn't quite cover the 7D frame. It's close, but there's some corner vignetting.
Do you have any samples of what this looks like?
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

http://dvxuser.com/barry/Peleng-CamBelles.jpg

That chart was 3" away from the lens. 3". It's an 8x12 image, and that's how wide the 8mm Peleng gets. Furthermore, the room is 14' wide, and the camera was 20" away from the wall. So it's seeing maybe 16 feet wide from a distance of 20"! It's amazingly widely huge.

But, you can just see the vignetting in the corners. The 16:9 frame cuts off a little of the vignetting (it looks worse in the full frame stills) but it's still got some. If the lens was maybe 8.5mm instead of 8mm there would have been no vignetting at all... sigh.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I wonder if the Peling would work with a short extension tube? Would it still be able to focus? At least that would take care of the corners.

There's also the trusty Zenitar. It works on the 5D, but wouldn't be extreme enough on the 7D.

You can see it on the 5D here at 0:48 and 2:14. The normal wide is a 28mm:

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD