$125 Audio Recorder - what do you think? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

$125 Audio Recorder - what do you think?

I have my new 7D.

I am a pro photographer but NOT a DV Pro. I know audio is important and I have Sennheiser wireless mic and Final Cut studio.

I have been told to get the Zoom H4n but it is $299 and I will wait if that is so much better.

BUTTTTTT...... I found this at B and H on sale for just $125. Should I get it instead?
Oh.. and hurry with your thoughts, sale ends Christmas Eve.

$125 for this...
Tascam | DR-07 Portable Digital Audio Recorder | DR-07 | B&H

Or $299 for this...

Zoom | H4n Handy Mobile 4-Track Recorder | H4N | B&H Photo Video
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Major Player

The Tascam is a good unit, quality of recordings is very good, on par with the H2 and H4 at comparable bit-rates. I've owned all three (plus two Olympus units). I ended up selling the Tascam, but not because it had any major flaws. For the money, it's a great choice.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Lack of XLR would be the deal killer for me...if your going to spend that much I would spend the extra to get the XLR jacks. Personally I don't need them so I'm waiting for ML on the 7D and then getting a Juiced Link preamp.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I was thinking the same thing but there are of course no promises on ML. I might be another year, it might not work as well as we think or it might be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And while I believe in the later I may have my first job with video soon.

So did the H4n have xlr? I did not see that?

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, the H4n's XLRs are hiding at the bottom.

To confuse you further, the Zoom H2 includes a 1Gb card making it perhaps a little cheaper than the Tascam.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Tascam DR100

To throw my $0.02 in, I would look at the Tascam DR100 which I got form B&H for $309. It was an unadvertised price that didn't show up until I was ready to check out. The major difference for me with the DR100 was the ability to do 24bit WAV files and to control the XLR inputs individually. The preamps are less noisy than my HVX200 as well.
good luck on our decision!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Contributor

The H4N does 24bit as well, and preamps are very clean. I was going to go for the Tascam but more than one person has said you have to crank the gain all the way up to get a good level with some mics, and the ones I use would be in that category. I just got the Zoom a few weeks ago from B&H, and the price has dropped by $30. Both the Zoom and Tascam are very impressive devices for the price. Anything that can record that high a quality audio for $300 or less is amazing to me. I was impressed by the H4N feel...it's heavier and has a much better quality and more solid feel to it than I expected for the price. It has XLR inputs, and they are the convertible kind that will also accept 1/4" inputs, and my understanding (though I haven't tried it) is that when you use a 1/4" plug it automatically goes to line level recording, which is nice.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Another option is to buy a cheap recorder and a juicedLink. The weak link in most recorders is the front end. Insert the JL, crank it up, and the results can be quite good.

We bought the M-Audio Microtrack II for a short festival film, and the noise was horrid. It was the weak link of the whole production. Slap the JL in front of the MT II, and it's very nearly as clean as the H4n. That makes the balanced inputs and phantom power of the MT II obsolete. We could use a cheaper recorder with a 1/8" stereo mic input and get similar results - and replaceable batteries!

For people who prefer to record into the 7D and are waiting for ML, it's not a bad stop gap. Besides, having the external recorder option is nice for recording sounds from the field.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Another vote here for the Tascam DR100. Battery system way way way better than Zoom. I also like the peak indicator. Also, gain has a three position switch, set it to high and you don't need to dial up the gain too much.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I have a DR-07 coming. I will feed in with my ENG44 mixer, line input. From test recordings I have heard, this seems like a real clean way to go, as Jon suggests. I do that with my HiMD unit now, but going through the Sony Sonic Stage process is just a pain. I am looking forward to a straight drag and drop capability

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD