7D, GH-1, EX-1, work WELL together, so far... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 24th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Major Player

7D, GH-1, EX-1, work WELL together, so far...

This is just a short spot - www.vimeo.com/8362964 - (advertising the upcoming Santa Fe TV Show - episode2) where I've indicated the model of camera used on every shot. It is amazing how good the 7D and GH-1 can work together with the EX-1s! Looking forward to see other examples that you have that includes these cameras. So please post your examples here too. I'd like to hear what your experiences have been.
You can see the same spot without watermarks here: The Santa Fe TV Show

Carlo Zanella
Santa Fe TV Show

Last edited by Carlo Zanella; December 24th, 2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot the link
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

great, thanks for sharing!
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Carlos, thanks very much for going through the trouble to do this and post it here.

Would you be able to share your 7D and EX1 profile settings? I own both of these as well and just want to get an idea of what you needed to do to get them to match so well.

Also I assume you did some color correction in post, can you give us an idea of what you needed to do CC-wise (your workflow) to each to get them to match?

Thanks again, it's great that you're sharing this with the community!

-Keith
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Major Player

This is a clip of the 7D mixed with the Ex-3 - shot in October in Japan. I took delivery of the 7D the day before I left, so I had little time to tweak profiles, etc. These clips were shot during my down time from making a documentary - being able to carry a small camera around is so refreshing!
YouTube - JAPANSCAPE by Empty Mind Films
and on vimeo
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Very nice!

Hard to say where the 2 cameras come in, except for the beginning that it really looks like the 7D is predominant. I could be wrong though, good color matching!

Thank you for posting that video. Wow, Japan's got a LOT of people. Even if I tried to put all ABQ together I wouldn't be able to get streets that crowded!!

Carlo
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Seems like a lot of people are using these two cams as a team. Great combo if you ask me. Covers all the bases.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Carlos, thanks very much for going through the trouble to do this and post it here.

Would you be able to share your 7D and EX1 profile settings? I own both of these as well and just want to get an idea of what you needed to do to get them to match so well.

Also I assume you did some color correction in post, can you give us an idea of what you needed to do CC-wise (your workflow) to each to get them to match?

Thanks again, it's great that you're sharing this with the community!

-Keith
I keep the 7D with the contrast all the way down and the other picture settings unchanged.
I primarily use the cine4 +30-+50 in the EX1. I dial in the white balance (+/-K) and then I adjust it in the 7D to better match the ex1. In exteriors and shots in general that I want a rich color from I use hte HISAT setting in the EX. Sometimes I give some deeper "blacks" to the EX to better match the 7D. As far as the GH1, I try to shoot the color I would like to see in post, so I don't have to "touch it up" too much. I like the "vibrant" for punchy outdoors and colorful food close-up, "neutral" for interior shots in general. I love the GH1, I love it!! Tha'ts about it. I really don't do too much, I always try to shoot "clean" unless I am going fter a specific look. I use the "mind" no to screw up, the rest is my mood and eyes (should I say ma heart too?? Yes, I just love what I do!)

In post I give some "level" to the ex-1 and some marginal CC, and, if necessary, I slightly "tone down" the 7D and GH1.
Hope this answers your question...Sorry for the delay, but SANTA kept all of us busy yesterday!

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD