Canon 7d Versus RED ONE - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Talking head does not necessarily mean interview. Many of the scenes from "Twelve Angry Men", as an example, are considered talking head scenes because there is not much going in the way of visual storytelling.

The parameters are exactly as I described in the initial post. A "Talking head SCENE".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
There's plenty going on in Twelve Angry Men in terms of visual story telling. Indeed, the use of lenses was paramount in creating tension and a sense of claustrophobia. Particularly clever in that movie was the way the focal length slowly lengthened as the drama unfolded,
In this part of the world, US West Coast, two people sitting in a room talking is a talking head scene. All the camera trickery in the world cannot change that. By your definition there is no such thing as a talking head scene since there is always going to be some aspect of costume or lighting or a lens that enhances the scene. Everyone knows what a talking head scene is, and 12 Angry Men is a perfect example of it. If you doubt me, read the script, aren't a lot of stage directions, it's dialog.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The 7d offcourse if you want to pinch dollars. RED does look better but by the time it hits Vimeo, it really doesn't matter.

We did a 12 hour shoot of interviews with the 7d and everything went well.
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Topponen View Post
The 7d offcourse if you want to pinch dollars. RED does look better but by the time it hits Vimeo, it really doesn't matter.

We did a 12 hour shoot of interviews with the 7d and everything went well.
Thank you. That's really all I'm asking.
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
In this part of the world, US West Coast, two people sitting in a room talking is a talking head scene. All the camera trickery in the world cannot change that. By your definition there is no such thing as a talking head scene since there is always going to be some aspect of costume or lighting or a lens that enhances the scene. Everyone knows what a talking head scene is, and 12 Angry Men is a perfect example of it. If you doubt me, read the script, aren't a lot of stage directions, it's dialog.
I've read the script.

I suggest you read Sidney Lumet's book on the subject. According to him, the lensing was one of the most important parts of that film. You chose it as an example, not me. I was giving you solid feedback on your question. Not sure why you're giving me attitude....
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
I've read the script.

I suggest you read Sidney Lumet's book on the subject. According to him, the lensing was one of the most important parts of that film. You chose it as an example, not me. I was giving you solid feedback on your question. Not sure why you're giving me attitude....
Lensing always matters but it has nothing to with the question of a what constitutes a talking head scene. And you actually have not provided useful feedback, you've asked if I know how to operate a camera then asked if it was an interview and then suggested I'm using 12 Angry Men as a blueprint. No offense, but your input is not helpful. At all.
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #21
Major Player

Brian, I seem to have offended you by asking if you know how to work/post-produce either camera. There was no offense intended, it was a honest question, as there are different and distinct workflows with both systems and there are benefits and pitfalls with either route.

I've used the 5D, 7D and RED for projects ultimately destined for the web and the choice of camera in each case was down to a combination of budget, quality, accessibility, ease of use, post workflow and speed. Whether anyone, other than pixel-peeping professionals could tell the difference is irrelevant to me as I always strive to make the best film I can with what I can afford. Yes, you can use the 7D, if you adhere to the advice above. But only you can make that call.

I hope that was more helpful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD