DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D Handheld (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/470397-7d-handheld.html)

Michael Simons January 3rd, 2010 06:15 PM

7D Handheld

Was curious to know anyone's thoughts on videotaping weddings handheld with the 7D. Thanks!

Perrone Ford January 3rd, 2010 06:54 PM

My thought is I wouldn't pay for it.

Bill Pryor January 3rd, 2010 08:18 PM

If you stay wide angle and use one of those shoulder braces from Zacuto, Redrock, etc., then you might do some handheld, but I don't think you'd want to shoot a whole wedding hand held with any camera.

Roger Shealy January 3rd, 2010 09:19 PM

I don't shoot weddings, but I do have experience with the 7D in dynamic situations. Unfortunately my experiences in fast moving fodder hasn't proved very successful. Very wide, as in 11 - 14mm gives you a fighting chance on focus, but only a chance. An HD monitor improves odds.

If you have one or two traditional video cameras shooting safe footage then the 7D could be great for high impact shots, knowing you can burn them if you don't nail focus. I would not depend on the 7D for primary, continuous footage. First, you only have 12 minutes per take. 2nd, maintaining great focus through an hour of content seems very unlikely. Could be great for closeups of vows, rings, kiss.... but not for running down aisles unless you really go wide. Cutting the 7D footage with other cams can be tricky, but many have done it successfully. Consider toning down the Sharpness, contrast, and saturation (Neutral profile with saturation adjusted down 1-2 additional clicks) to make the footage look more natural and provide some chance of blending with other cams.

Perhaps some of the pros on the forum can tell you how to work the 7D to get great focus all the time. I'm still trying.

David Chapman January 3rd, 2010 09:45 PM

I get good results handheld with the IS on for my 17-55 EF-s f/2.8. Nothing usable handheld with a non-IS lens.

A Redrock bundle or a Glidecam should help out a lot. You won't be able to glide down the aisle with the Redrock, but should be good with the Glidecam (hence the name).

For focussing, I don't know how I would keep things in focus without a monitor (smallHD). Just practice a lot with focusing so you can tell which way to turn your hand.

Liam Hall January 4th, 2010 07:13 AM

You can do it, but you'd need to pimp your 7D with a decent rig. At the very least, get a monopod.

BTW I'm not sure you should call it videotaping, since there's no tape:)

David Chapman January 4th, 2010 12:33 PM

Liam, what about "videocarding" or "see-eff-ing"? Or... Vid-slur-ing (trying for vdslr)?

I'm going to go shoot with my vid-slur today.

J.J. Kim January 4th, 2010 07:01 PM

I use Rapid Fire from Zacuto and loving it.

Shawn Wright January 5th, 2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chapman (Post 1467854)
Liam, what about "videocarding" or "see-eff-ing"? Or... Vid-slur-ing (trying for vdslr)?

I'm going to go shoot with my vid-slur today.

Funny!

How about I am "HDing it"

Andy Wilkinson January 6th, 2010 08:12 AM

Back on topic...

Just to confirm David's and others findings. Some time ago I did some tests with 7D and my Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM AF EF-S. Naked camera, i.e. no rig, as I don't have one for this camera yet - the Zacutto Rapid Fire mentioned above does look good!). Used the lens at the long end to make it as difficult as possible of course (i.e. about 88mm full frame equivalent focal length) and did half a dozen video clips with and without IS (Image Stabilisation) on in alternate sequence. Looked at them on one of my big 24 inch editing monitors.

No doubt about it, the IS makes a HUGE difference. I'm pretty skilled/steady with hand held but I would say ALL the non IS video clips were unusable (unless they got put through FCP SmoothCam or similar, with some of the downsides that can have). I've seen lots of similar shakey/jittery 7D stuff on the web masquerading as art...totally unwatchable!!! I certainly don't think anyone in the wedding world of the OP or the corporate world I inhabit would pay for footage like it!

My conclusion was (given that I don't want a rig for my 7D), I would only buy IS capable lenses for anything on the Tele side. That way I have a chance for when I want to shoot anything handheld, especially for video/longer focal length shots (and/or use my Manfrotto monopod or my smaller Libec 650 tripod with this 7D when I can). I am considering a Glidecam or similar option in the very near future too (where the IS would be switched off, naturally) - at least with the 7D this is a workable option as well. My EX3 would be way too heavy on any type of stabiliser system for my liking!!!

Pretty obvious stuff - but the Canon IS is amazingly effective for video use if hand holding (especially if like me you want to keep it simple/highly portable and unobtrusive).

Alvin Ang Teng Cheong January 6th, 2010 09:11 AM

Yup, i first started out using it with the kit lens (18 - 135). It was rather tiring as you really need to concentrate. Pulling focus was a bit tough handheld. You really need IS lenses if you wish to go handheld without a rig. I just recently bought a Redrock kit and it really rocks. good stuff if you want to use primes.

Cody Dulock January 6th, 2010 09:42 AM

Shooting with a lens that has IS handheld is better than a lens without it... but, I learned from my mistake and will never shoot another wedding handheld or on a monopod again! It depends on the level of quality you want to offer I guess... but if you are shooting with a 5D or 7D or other DSLR, I would recommend staying away from the monopod and handheld... at least use a shoulder mount, if you have to.

Dan Brockett January 6th, 2010 02:16 PM

The problem is that the Canon IS is too loud! I have the 70-300 IS 4-5.6 I cannot use the IS when shooting audio, even with the Zoom. The noise from the IS mechanism is just ridiculously loud. Nikon gets the point here, the Nikon VR system is MUCH more quiet. Too bad the video on the Nikons is not up to par with the Canons.

Dan

Andy Wilkinson January 6th, 2010 02:51 PM

Yes... but as we all know...no way are you going to get decent audio with any microphone system ON ANY camera, regardless of Canon's IS or not. Anything important would benefit having the zoom/microphone near to the source, not near (or on) the camera where all it will do well is pick up all the handling noises...as well as IS...and not so well the audio from your subject.

Having said that, I have done it with a Rode Vidoemic or SVM and it's OK (for casual, non paying family stuff). Maybe the IS on my 17-55 is much quieter than your lens, not sure?

Michael Simons January 6th, 2010 06:11 PM

Handheld

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1467625)
If you stay wide angle and use one of those shoulder braces from Zacuto, Redrock, etc., then you might do some handheld, but I don't think you'd want to shoot a whole wedding hand held with any camera.

I've been shooting with the GL1 handheld for years. For the ceremony I've had the Canon A1 on a tripod and shoot BRoll handheld. Otherwise, the entire day is pretty much handheld and I'm doing 90 weddings a year for the last 10 years.