7D Video stuttering? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 10th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #46
Regular Crew

The solution

Hi Derek,

I had the same problem for a good while. Here's what solved it for me:

1. Update your 7D firmware to the latest version (you can dwnload it from canon.com)
2. Transcode your footage using Cineform. I use Prospect, but I heard that Neo also does the trick. You can download a free trial to see if it works for you.

Before that I also tried the CF card thingy, updated my computer to a Quad Core 3.2ghz/8Gb and nothing solved it.

Here's a clip before the solution:

And one after it:

Hope this solves your problems.

Best!

Mauricio
Mauricio DelaOrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM   #47
Regular Crew

[quote=Derek Reich;1469965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Ditch the 7D now. Because it's going to be a while before CPUs are fast enough to handle 7D footage on their own without a boost from a GPU or offboard processor. People have been discussing this issue with the 5D and 7D since early last year. I'm sorry you somehow missed all that before you spent your money.

Ditch the 7D now?. Wow, that's unexpected. I was coming here for advice.... Sorry I'm behind the curve on this, but that's what I thought these forums were for. To get up to speed, and get some helpful advice from others who have some to share.

Others have posted that they have no problem without transcoding. This is what I'm trying to nail down, why some have to go through this extra step, and others don't seem to have to. I also was just trying to make sure my camera is not buggered. If it's something as simple as updating my FCP, or using a different flash card.

And for the record, most of my work IS for broadcast network news, so speed is often of the essence.

Im using FFMPEG by placing a .bat file in the root folder of FFMPEG with these settings and getting great results that can be played on most any PC without any sort of lag or glitchyness.

ffmpeg -i E:\original.mov -y -vcodec libx264 -b 9000k -minrate 90000k -maxrate 9000k -aspect 16:9 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ar 48000 -ac 2 E:\output.mp4
pause

:: sizing -s 320x240
:: frame rate -r 30
:: Codec for h264 -vcodec libx264
:: Audio Codec -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ar 48000 -ac 2
:: Aspect Ratio -aspect 16:9

Give it a try, works really well
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Derek,
Do your clips play back smoothly on the LCD screen of your camera directly from the card? They should. If they don't I suspect something is wrong with either your CF card or the camera itself. At least this simple test can help you determine if the problem is in the 7D or in your editing setup.
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD