HONORARIUM: an EOS 7D/EX-1 hybrid short at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 8th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1
"I saw 'em" -- Hiwayne Suggs

HONORARIUM: an EOS 7D/EX-1 hybrid short

I completed a short film called HONORARIUM in December that was shot roughly half on the 7D and the EX-1. It's a long story, but DVINFO's Chris Hurd loaned me his 7D for a week, and in exchange I promised him an article about the project.

That promise turned into a 4,953 word piece I just finished yesterday. It wound up covering many issues beyond the cameras in question and, in many cases, explanations from me of my particular work process.

I had a blast making the film and I was happy with the results of both cameras, but I was really thrilled by the footage from the 7D.

The article is posted here: honorarium: a hybrid 7D/EX-1 short

I also built a 1:20 collection of shots for the film posted here: Steve Mims on Vimeo

Thanks so much to Chris and DVINFO!

Happy New Year,
Steve Mims
Steve Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Awesome write-up , Steve. Great read! BUT, show us some more 'selected shots' ;-)
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Trustee

Really enjoyed your article. From what you've shared honorarium looks great. Would love to see more.

Personally I hope DVInfo follows this format and we all start taking and sharing a broader perspective on film making.

This is an outstanding write-up about the process of film making in the way most of us would go about producing a similar project.

Thanks Chris for loaning your 7D to Steve so that he would write this article.

Great job.

PS. can I borrow your 7d?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thank you Steve--great, holistic perspective from a man who has handled all formats. And a fine walk through the filmmaking process.

Enjoyed it, and appreciate your depth. And especially your resistance against beating the dead horse with pixel-peeping and technical rambling. While acknowledging the technical side's necessity, with your article you seize the opportunity to emphasize for the reader the opportunities presented in today's filmmaking tools while revealing the more timeless methods behind great work.

Gracias for your sharing,

JB
Joe Bailey Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Steve - fantastic write-up - thanks much for sharing! I'm going to do my best to catch Honorarium at SXSW and hopefully I'll get a chance to chat with you a bit. Are you going to make it to the dvinfo.net party tomorrow (Friday 3/12)?
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD