DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Best workflow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/470896-best-workflow.html)

Morten Engelien January 12th, 2010 05:38 PM

Best workflow

Hi! I'm looking for the best workflow for PC! Can only find mac flows out there..
I'm using streamclip to convert the clips ready for Adobe premiere cs4.. But are not shure the codec is right ?
Is this a good way to start ? :
1: Mpeg streamclip-> export to quickTime-> and then... which compression is best ? H.264?

And when saving from premiere, what is best ?

Mauricio DelaOrta January 13th, 2010 11:03 PM

Here's my recommended workflow (works for me at least)

1. Download your footage to your computer (as obvious as this sounds, I've seen people working from their CF cards). I like using Canon's utilities for this.

2. Transcode your footage. I normally use Cineform, but if you're on a budget, MPEGstreamclip + AvidDNXhd codec will work too (with less colorspace though)

3. If you're using Cineform, you can do a first color correction pass on First Light (this is especially usefull if you shot with contrast and saturation down on your camera)

4. Import clips into your NLE (I use Premiere CS4). Select the appropriate format (eg: 1080 24p) depending on how you intend to output.

5. Conform clips that aren't in your selected project format (eg: shots at 720 60p that you want to use for slomo)

6. Edit

7. Final color correction and effects.

8. Render to an output codec: h.264 is great if you have a powerful computer, otherwise HD Mpeg2 works better if you don't mind having a bigger sized file.

9. Have a cup of coffee while you wait for the render. :)

An important note: If you use MPEG2 when you transcode, your output to MPEG2 will be rendered faster. If I'm not wrong Avid's codec (which is free) uses mpeg2.

Hope this helps!

Mauricio

Morten Engelien January 14th, 2010 02:50 PM

Works like a dream : )
Thank you, Mauricio!

Jesse Haycraft January 14th, 2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mauricio DelaOrta (Post 1472077)
An important note: If you use MPEG2 when you transcode, your output to MPEG2 will be rendered faster. If I'm not wrong Avid's codec (which is free) uses mpeg2.

So do you think it's OK to use HD Mpeg-2 as a proxy?

Mauricio DelaOrta January 14th, 2010 09:38 PM

Yes. I use mpeg2 for everything after capturing (which is done in h.264). Many people think mp2 is an old and outdated codec, but Sony uses it in its HDCAM format which is becoming an industry standard for HD footage exchange.

Cineform uses it as well. They claim that there is no visual loss in the compression, and so far I haven't noticed any.

I wouldn't be able to tell with Avid's codec as I haven't worked with it extensively but I'm guessing that Avid wouldn't release a codec under their brand if it wasn't a quality one.

For final output version of a project, I use standard High Def MPG2, which by the way is considered as one of the official codecs for Bluray

Jon Fairhurst January 14th, 2010 11:48 PM

Cineform uses wavelets, rather than MPEG-2.

Mauricio DelaOrta January 15th, 2010 01:04 AM

I thought I had read somewhere in Cineform's website that they were using some sort of mpeg, but then again, I've been using it -Aspect HD- since the first HDV camera came out (JVC GR-HD1U) so most surely the technology has evolved.

My point still remains regarding the workflow: Capture h.264 (no options here with the 7D) -> transcode (cineform works for me)-> do your art -> encode to mpeg2HD which is a standard embraced by many companies including the Blu Ray Association.

I've never had a problem opening these files on relatively modern computers, even without special codecs (clients usually have out of the box WMP and/or QT installations).

HDCAM-EX is Mpeg2 though and can be edited without a glitch on CS4 (again, on a relatively modern computer).

Perrone Ford January 15th, 2010 01:21 AM

Cineform is using Wavelet compression.
Avid DNxHD is using DCT (Discrete Cosine Transform) same as ProRes and CanopusHQ
XDCam-EX/XDCam-HD are both Mpeg2 variants

I agree with your basic workflow except for the final encode to Mpeg2 HD. I can't think of a single scenario where that would be the ideal finishing format. Mpeg2 SD if going to DVD yes. But HD? No.

Mauricio DelaOrta January 17th, 2010 11:53 AM

I guess it all depends on who your final audience is. For DVD of course, MPEG2 is the standard way of doing it.

Regarding HD, in my experience, not all customers' computers are able to handle 1080p h.264, so I usually offer them two versions, HD Mpeg2 being the other one. I'm usually told that they use the mpeg2 version for whatever purposes they have for their projects, and store the h.264 away.

What is your preferred output codec?

Mauricio

Morten Engelien January 19th, 2010 07:07 AM

This workflow is perfect. No problems, no visible data loss and no delay when editing.

In the free Streamclip:
-Export to quicktime
- In compression,- use H.264 (I know this is not for editing, BUT it works MUCH better than DNxHD) For me and my computer, that is. And the DNxHD compression lose much data.
- Add in premiere.

Perrone Ford January 19th, 2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morten Engelien (Post 1474316)
- In compression,- use H.264 (I know this is not for editing, BUT it works MUCH better than DNxHD) For me and my computer, that is. And the DNxHD compression lose much data.

Then you are doing something VERY wrong. However DNxHD is slow in Premiere as is any .MOV. There are better options. Something in a .AVI container is preferred. H.264 is a horrible solution particularly sice the 7D is shooting that NATIVELY...

Morten Engelien January 20th, 2010 04:57 AM

Yes, H.264 is problary not the best, but in this case,- it work better for me. Almost no delay in clips when I edit.

http://i47.tinypic.com/i6jg9z.jpg

Large:
http://i46.tinypic.com/1e5gsl.jpg

And here is Perrone Fords solution with the DNxHD file :

" File, Export to Quicktime

Choose Avid DNxHD.

Click Options button

Color levels RGB

Click the tiny sliver of a box at the bottom of the window (this is a bug). It will allow you to select the bit rate for DNxHD. Select 1080/24p DNxHD 175 10-bit. Or select 1080/24p 115 8-bit. Experiment with both.

Hover over the Uncompressed selection and the OK button will appear. This is another bug. Click OK.

Set quality to 100%

Uncheck Interlaced Scaling

Select 1920x1080 unscaled

Click "Make Movie"
"
http://i50.tinypic.com/vomn7s.jpg

Liam Hall January 21st, 2010 05:08 AM

Why are you transcoding to H264??????

It's already H264!

As for your split screen, you are just seeing a gamma shift, that's all.

Craig Maret January 21st, 2010 09:22 AM

Theres some strange ways of working in this thread.

I would download from card and convert to an intermediate codec...like cineform with premiere because its easier to edit with and much more robust to grading etc.

The other codecs here are either meant for final delivery or capture and are what I would call "skinny" in that they will be great until you edit with them, then they will fall apart cos they were designed to fit in as small a file as possible whereas cineform(or similar) are bigger files but 10bit and 422 allowing grading etc with little degradation.

Jad Meouchy January 21st, 2010 07:48 PM

I do a proxy cut with Sony Vegas using XDCAM EX as an intermediate. Because XDCAM EX plays back and edits smoothly on my $300 netbook!