Prospec CF Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Prospec CF Card

Anyone using the following card below for their 7D? Any issues?

Calumet ProSpec UDMA 16GB 305x CompactFlash Card
Calumet ProSpec UDMA 16GB 305x CompactFlash Card - CM6276 - CUCFPRO3-16GB
Erwin Layaoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Contributor

Good review, pricey card. There've been quite a number of reports of card failures recently from people shooting video, not stills. In all the cases I've read about, the cards were in no way abused. Also, it wasn't just one brand nor was it cheap brands. Failures from a variety of manufacturers, including SanDisk are being reported. Not a lot, but enough to make a guy really nervous. The card's resistance to physical damage is one thing, but does that affect some mysterious failure? I don't know. One person, for instance, had recorded about 2 gigs with a previously used SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s card. Earlier shooting showed no problems. Then suddenly the card just died in camera. No device would talk to the card, the recorded files were dead. SanDisk replaced the card--big deal, he lost his footage. There are some threads about these types of failures. Others have used the IV versions with failures, and still others have similar failures with Transcend. Personally I have some SanDisk and Transcend cards that have given me zero problems. I consider myself lucky.

It's natural to think we should buy the most expensive cards out there. But that doesn't seem to make them immune from failure. I'd like to see these Calumet cards used for extensive video shooting and see how the fare. Calumet is a great, professional place and I'm sure they wouldn't put their name on a card they don't believe is top notch. However, what would impress me a lot more than those physical torture tests is for somebody to shoot hours and hours of video with the cards and do so with no mysterious failures for no apparent reason.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD