DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon 7D - Software compatibility (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/471153-canon-7d-software-compatibility.html)

Denis Basic January 16th, 2010 06:42 PM

Canon 7D - Software compatibility

I am considering purchasing Canon 7D and using it for video, as well as for still shots. I own MacBook Pro with the old OS 10.4.11. As to the video software, I possess Final Cut Express 4 and Voltaic in addition to the old iMovie 6 and iDVD 6. For the beginning, I have only one quick question and later might have more.

Will my MacBook Pro with OS 10.4 be able to recognize Canon 7 D and to download video and photo files from it without any additional software or upgrades?

Anybody using the same set of hardware and software?

In advance, thank you very much for your help.

Michael Murie January 16th, 2010 08:48 PM

Unfortunately, I have an Intel MacBook running 10.5, so I can't tell you if it will work. But I would note that unlike AVCHD (which requires you use the Log & Transfer, and does requires Intel and 10.5) the 7D files can be dragged into a Project directly. So it might work.

I'm sure you can find a sample video on the net somewhere and download it and try it out for yourself.

David Chapman January 16th, 2010 10:26 PM

The CD that comes with the 7D should work on your system for a file browser and raw editor. I haven't used the Canon Raw editor before. I always edit the photos in Bridge. I know you need a special update for CS3 to edit the 7D Raw format. CS2 can't at all.

As far as video, it's merely h.264 (just a high bit rate). You will want to convert to an HD codec that your system can handle. Final Cut Express should be able to do something—even if it's an Apple Intermediate Codec for 1080p. Can you do DVCProHD or even HDV?

Chris Westerstrom January 17th, 2010 06:01 AM

Mpeg streamclip should work to convert all your clips to an easier file type to edit in FCE.

Iphoto can be used to capture your files although the EOS utility discs are better.

Just make sure you have a lot of disc space

Denis Basic January 17th, 2010 03:12 PM

Thank you all, guys, for your help.

As Michael proposed, I downloaded a 1080p file from the internet and managed to open it in the Final Cut Express (FCE). Then I tried to export it. The FCE does give me several options for exporting including Apple Intermediate Codec with HDV 1080p (also 720p and 1080i), as David mentioned. There is an option for DVCPro, but I have not yet discovered an option for DVCProHD. I will keep on studying the program.

Thanks, Chris, for letting me know that iPhoto (I assume you are talking about the version 6) and OS 10.4 (Tiger) work well with Canon 7D. So, far so good.

May I ask you, guys, and all other folks, for your opinion, i.e., a comparison in regard to the quality of video produced by Canon Vixia HFS10 vs. Canon 7 D.

In August I purchased Canon Vixia HFS10. (I urgently needed a small video camera for a trip and some interviews. I used it only twice.) The camera produces very nice videos under normal light conditions. However, I would like to be able to produce nice HD videos under limited light conditions. Thus, I stated thinking about getting Canon 7D, which in combination with Zoom H4N should create excellent sound and HD movies, in addition to great stills.

I own the Canon standard zoom lens 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and the prime 50mm f/1.4. I plan to eventually buy a few more fast lenses. Canon 7D should replace my old Canon 10D and Vixia HFS10.

What do you think, guys? Would I loose anything by replacing Vixia HFS10 with Canon 7D and the other mentioned gear?

In advance, thank you very much for your thoughts.