My answer to the rain with the 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 18th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My answer to the rain with the 7D

A shower cap and rubber bands :)

Simple. Cheap. And surprisingly effective. Tried the grocery bag trick yesterday and liked the results from the shower cap much more. I posted some actions pictures in my blog:

Tim Kay |Filmmaker - Director|

Best part about the set up is that it can expand for a variable lens. can't see why this wouldn't work on the 5d or any dslr for that matter.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #2
New Boot

Do you realize the 7D is weather sealed? All you'd need to bag up is your lens.
7D #1 Weather Sealing
Conrad VanLandingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thats the same page I have linked in my blog :)

My main reason to W.P. the camera was the lens. It just goes over so easy that it's fast protection.

I'm not to comfortable leaving the body completely exposed to rain. Especially the top of the camera. If it sneaks around the sides with some drops, not worried about that.
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Major Player

This may work better to actually keep out the moisture.

Amazon.com: Kata E-690 Medium Digital SLR Camera Raincover: Camera & Photo

Not sure I'd want use a (porous) grocery bag. Ok, ok, the bag would work but it makes your camera look homeless or unemployed.
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Andersen View Post
. Ok, ok, the bag would work but it makes your camera look homeless or unemployed.
Funny how on point that comment is!

Because this 'look' was one of the reason I liked it even more. Today I was filming around a bunch of homeless folks ( some of them invited me to film them which I graciously accepted and will include in my next little film). Grungy plastic, rubber bands in front, I felt like I fit in. And it protected my camera. The fact that this little poor mans set up makes my gear look cheaper, i'm all for that!

Next gotta figure out the best way to black out the 7D on my neck strap or replace it with a cheaper camera model :D
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #6
Major Player

If you are that embarrassed about your camera, why didn't you buy a Nikon D90? No one would bother you then:)
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
If you are that embarrassed about your camera, why didn't you buy a Nikon D90? No one would bother you then:)
Then I WOULD be embarrassed!

It was more to A) protect from rain B) not flaunt to those around me the value of my equipment when many of those I interacted with only shelter from the rain was under trees or in stairwells.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD