7D audio: Microphones? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:23 AM   #1
Major Player

7D audio: Microphones?

Audio being so important I have to ask, what are people using?

I understand that different situations require different types of microphones? What would be recommended for being compact? I see Phillip Bloom recommending 2 different Robe mics but can't really tell the difference between them except in price.

I'm looking at 3 different situations (I'm guessing 3 different mics): 1 is for for that gives me audio better than what the 7D has to offer. Something that mounts to the hot shoe would be great but I do I have DSLR rig with a cage to mount it to as well (I just don't bring the rig out with me for a night of drinking though).

Then I want to pick up vocals INSIDE a church. I have the Zoom H4n. In this case I would be looking at either capturing audio only (So no need to worry about a mic being in the picture) or capturing audio where I would have to set the mic outside the frame of the video.

Then capturing instruments such as violin, organ, cello, flute in the same conditions as above.

I would post this in the audio department but I'm really looking for what 7D or 5Dmii owners are using.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Have you thought about using wireless mics ? Absolute must have for church weddings.
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't do weddings right now. I officiate weddings though. That gives me access to some great talents. While I do plan on doing a few weddings this year for friends, it's not a business yet, not for a long time. I do want to help with promoting some of the talents in exchange for letting me practice video/audio.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Would the Rode Microphones Stereo VideoMic On-Camera Microphone be a good 'fun' mic to go out and about with and then for everything else, to start with, lavs?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I had some funny issues with the Rode Stereo mic on the 7D. Sometimes it will completely miss-balance the audio to the R or L - and its extreme. Like one channel loses pickup almost entirely. Not sure of others experienced that in different situations, but I found it quite annoying.
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:01 AM   #6
Trustee

I have several mics for my other rigs ( at 897, akg blue line, Oktava, etc.) but need something simple for my 7d. I decided to go with the Rode video mic because it gets decent reviews, is cheap , doesn;t need phantom power and has an 1/8 plug that will go into the camera or into a recorder like my Edirol r-09, or a zoom.
I bought it from BH and will get it today. I'll post my results.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Major Player

That would be great Bruce.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Here as example of just being out (Watching one of the choir girls at a small room concert). I wish I could mic her and the other artists up, but no chance.

What mic (For fun) would be good to get the best of the vocals and also compact?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD